Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2012, 20:04   #11
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABOTAGE View Post
ROVER 75 CDT 2002 CONNIE

Hi experts, i recently bought the above to be used as a taxi(shock horror you all scream) and i love it. Its due a service and as i do 800 miles a week, in complete luxury, i was wondering if i,m ok to use fully synthetic oil as thats what i,ve used in my previous 17 taxis. And can you advice what grade oil?

THANKS GANG

CHESNEY
I'm no expert but I used to do a bit more mileage than that each week and have always used good quality 10w40 semi synthetic changed at 15k miles.

Now on 313k miles and the engine runs as sweet as ever and nothing that is lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced.

Can't see you having any problems running fully synthetic but from what I've experienced semi synthetic is all you need.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 16th June 2012 at 20:14..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 20:15   #12
kkcat75

75cdt connoisseur saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I used to do a bit more mileage than that each week and have always used good quality 10w40 semi synthetic changed at 15k miles.

Now on 313k miles and the engine runs as sweet as ever and nothing that is lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced.

Can't see you having any problems running fully synthetic but from what I've experienced semi synthetic is all you need.

Mike
Had this discussion with a turbo guy when a mate shot the turbo on a 4year old a4 about five years ago, His take was that 10w40 is ok for engine at 15k intervals but the turbo will need new semi/syn oil change at about 7.5k. So if you're running a modern commonrail diesel with a sensitive modern turbo,you either go fully synthetic with 15k intervals or semi with half the interval.Another acquaintance has a tuned 2011 Avensis with a 30k(AFAIK) interval!!!! Seems ridiculous to me to run oil for that length.

Last edited by kkcat75; 16th June 2012 at 20:17..
kkcat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 20:16   #13
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcat75 View Post
Had this discussion with a turbo guy when a mate shot the turbo on a 4year old a4 about five years ago, His take was that 10w40 is ok for engine at 15k intervals but the turbo will need new semi/syn oil at about 7.5k. so if you;re running a modern commonraul diesel with a sensitive modern turbo,you either go fully synthetic with 15k intervals or semi with half the interval.Another acquaintance has a tuned 2011 Avensis with a 30k(AFAIk) interval!!!! Seems ridiculous to me to run oil for that length.
Remember the 75 has an old school fixed vane turbo unlike the Freelander/BMW
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 20:29   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcat75 View Post
Had this discussion with a turbo guy when a mate shot the turbo on a 4year old a4 about five years ago, His take was that 10w40 is ok for engine at 15k intervals but the turbo will need new semi/syn oil change at about 7.5k. So if you're running a modern commonrail diesel with a sensitive modern turbo,you either go fully synthetic with 15k intervals or semi with half the interval.Another acquaintance has a tuned 2011 Avensis with a 30k(AFAIK) interval!!!! Seems ridiculous to me to run oil for that length.

Interesting, but if I had changed my oil and filter every 7.5k miles I would have spent around an extra £850 to date.

Seeing as my turbo, and the rest of the engine, still runs and sounds as good as new that would have been a bit of a waste.

TBH if the turbo fails tommorow I still think I've had my money's worth out of it and could get a used replacement for a lot less than £850.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote