Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th July 2013, 11:42   #11
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimani View Post
Thanks Guys

So it would seem that component speakers are a better option than the 6 1/2 inch Harmon Kardon.

I also see a good recommendation for the Harmon Kardon tweeters, especially if fitted front & back.

If that is the case would it be a good idea to fit mains as components & use Harmon Kardon tweeters ? I do like the idea of the tweeters making it look OE.

So, Component speakers. What make, & how much (funds are very tight).

If I use component speakers do I have to start modifying fittings. I cant do that. Anything I do has got to be more or less plug & play !

Thanks for all the replies.

trimani (Alf)

PS I've realised this should be in ICE . Sorry, I expect it to be moved.
Hi Alf,
I have various component speakers in stock should you wish to check my trader shop out
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=150791
You will however have to take the door cards off to fit these ( as you will if you fit the HK system as well ) so not quite plug and play whichever route you go down.
Most component speakers come with a crossover that will need to be installed in the door card as well.
What you have is basically the speaker wires from the head unit ( already in situ) connect to the crossover first then the crossover feeds the bass /mids and tweeters ( wire is already there ) separately.
The speakers can mount straight into the existing door pods if you want to keep installation simple.
Then it's switch on, test and finally replace door cards

Last edited by coolcat; 27th July 2013 at 14:42..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:29   #12
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

Alf,

The components, as Jeff has indicated, come as a bass unit and a tweeter fed from a crossover which you can tie up in the door. You won't need to bother with any HK items at all. The tweeters should fit nicely in the existing door cards so once back together it will all look totally standard. Its worth putting the standard tweeters you remove into the rear doors to bring the sound up.

Regards

Tony
arodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:37   #13
US Spec

rover 75 club 1.8, rover 75 2.5 kv6 auto conn

with regards to power ratings..look at the obvious..find a name brand 50x4 amplifier and compare the size with a 50x4 head unit (even double din) how did they fit it in there along with a tuner, cd mech, and all the other components? radio outputs are rated power from "mosfets" and do not work as a "normal" amp would do.
while I agree that speakers are a fine upgrade and component speakers from companies such as alpine, pioneer, clarion, mb quart and others are very good....sound quality is found in power first. a better powered system will sound far better than one only powered by the head unit. it doesnt have to "shake" the car it just has to sound good!
US Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 15:09   #14
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi Alf,
I have various component speakers in stock should you wish to check my trader shop out
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=150791
You will however have to take the door cards off to fit these ( as you will if you fit the HK system as well ) so not quite plug and play whichever route you go down.
Most component speakers come with a crossover that will need to be installed in the door card as well.
What you have is basically the speaker wires from the head unit ( already in situ) connect to the crossover first then the crossover feeds the bass /mids and tweeters ( wire is already there ) separately.
The speakers can mount straight into the existing door pods if you want to keep installation simple.
Then it's switch on, test and finally replace door cards
Hi Jeff

Thanks for interesting post

Basically I am after improving the standard sound. I don't want ear splitting, head thumping, car shaking, everybody knows I'm coming system !

What I do want is improved audio output over the basic system. Especially as I have now got my DD Unit.

I can manage door card removal, and straight forward wiring. What I can't do is start to modify speaker/door fixings, or removing to much trim.

Do I need to change tweeters, and do I need an amp ? On the amp front, if it would improve system can i fit at later date. What about a subwoofer. Is it a improvement, and if so could I use Rover OE under the parcel shelf jobbie ?

With that little lot in mind could you suggest a kit, with neccessry wiring and connectors. Price will have a big bearing on my decision.

Whilst here, I would like to thank you for the amount of help you gave me with my DD. Without yours & Seans help I would be still sat here with a bunch of wires & bananas.

Cheers

trimani (Alf)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 16:56   #15
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Fitting the MGR tweeters in the rear door cards really improved the overall sound if you don't have them already. They slot straight into the holders. I'm tempted by component speakers but like you I don't want to dismantle anything serious to install them!
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 23:00   #16
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 06:41   #17
coolcat
This is my second home

Hi Alf and Dale,

Yes you can still use the original tweeters although as others have said, better ones will come with the new components.
As previously mentioned you could then use the oem tweeters and put them in the rear.
No you don't have to have an amp but you could add one later and improve the sound still further should you wish.
The component bass/mid units will be a straight swap size wise for the oem speakers so no modification of door fitting needed.
What you will need to do is a slight bit of wiring !
The plug that goes into the oem speaker will need to be chopped off and the wires fed into the crossover box ( about the size of a pack of playing cards ) and then fed to the speakers.
What that means is the speaker wires go to the crossover first then onto the bass/mid and the tweeters
The crossovers will need to be mounted somewhere in the door card being careful not to let them fowl any of the door mech and window mech parts.
Usually they are held on with adhesive pads or Velcro pads that are supplied.
Repeat the same for both doors or all four if you intend to replace the rears as well.
Most people just replace the fronts and then maybe upgrade the rears to full range units and re use the tweeters removed from the fronts
A subwoofer is subjective and in my opinion the Harman Kardon under shelf or rear panel tourer sub really don't add an awful lot of low end frequency to bother with them.
To get meaningful bass requires a larger enclosure with a large(ish) driver and powerful amplification.
I don't think you will need one Alf unless you have a love of drum and bass music and like shaking your booty
So all you will need would be the component speakers, they all come with extra speaker wire and all screws etc for mounting.
£60.00 would buy you a pair of reasonable components which would offer an improvement on stock and would out perform the HK speakers as well.
If you decided on a rear pair of full range speakers as well, a starting price would be around £30.00 to £40.00.
Of course you can spend plenty more money and reap greater benefits but then you are entering the world of amplification, door card anti resonant treatment, upgraded speaker wires etc...
Read into that more time and more work on the fitting!
Hope that helps Alf.
If you want to discuss this further please feel free to ring me at the shop or my mobile.
Not today though as I'll be at the Halfway House meeting with my hands buried in dashboards

Last edited by coolcat; 28th July 2013 at 06:47..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 19:05   #18
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Thank you Jeff, much food for thought there! The n/s door card has to come off again to replace the window trim with aluminium rot, so while I'm ripping my beloved apart again it might be a good time to make sounds better too...
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 20:02   #19
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Hi Jeff

What a wealth of information you are, thank you.

Taking your advice, I think I will go for the front and back speaker option straight away.

For your info I already have tweeters fitted front and back, but understand yours are better quality, so that's fine. I read recently of a guy who stuck the front off of Harmon Kardon tweeters to make the look OEM ! Worth considering !

From your very plain instructions I think I could manage the installation OK.

I understand your comments on the parcel shelf sub woofer not worth worrying about.

Next is the question of AMP. I think I will get one straight away, and get all work out of the way in one go.

Thanks again Jeff, and I am sending you a PM.

Cheers

trimani (Alf)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 21:19   #20
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
Thank you Jeff, much food for thought there! The n/s door card has to come off again to replace the window trim with aluminium rot, so while I'm ripping my beloved apart again it might be a good time to make sounds better too...
That would make perfect sense to do the upgrade then