Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2013, 21:45   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

When adjusting the handbrake, the handbrake cables should be slackened off at the nut under the handbrake, and then both rear wheels should be removed, after putting support under the body of the car, and the knurled adjuster which is found at the top of the handbrake shoes inside,you will need a small torch to look through one of the stud holes into the handbrake drum to find it, has to be turned up or down to move the brake shoes nearer (tighten) or (loosen) the brake shoes onto the drum. When this job has been done, you can then adjust the hand brake lever to take the slack up in the cables. Usually 2/3 clicks on the hand brake will then operate the handbrake successfully.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:02   #12
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:10   #13
SK51TTT
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 connoisseur SE Facelift

I feel inclined to remove the caliper, take off the disc/drum, and inspect the shoes and associated parts, rather than making an adjustment through a stud hole.
I say this because I don't know, without looking, the condition of the componants, having only just had the car.
Things like
wear of lining material
hold down springs
shoe springs
shoe activating lever
adjuster pawl
Non of these can be checked effectively without drum removal. If the jobs worth doing, etc etc etc

Last edited by SK51TTT; 9th December 2013 at 08:15.. Reason: missed a sentence
SK51TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 08:17   #14
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK51TTT View Post
I feel inclined to remove the caliper, take off the disc/drum, and inspect the shoes and associated parts.
I say this because I don't know, without looking, the condition of the componants, having only just had the car.
Things like
wear of lining material
hold down springs
shoe springs
shoe activating lever
adjuster pawl
Non of these can be checked effectively without drum removal
I suppose this is a good idea if you have the time. Rust build up has a big effect on how the shoes are finally balanced and adjusted.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 13:47   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
I feel inclined to remove the caliper, take off the disc/drum, and inspect the shoes and associated parts, rather than making an adjustment through a stud hole.
Things like
wear of lining material
hold down springs
shoe springs
shoe activating lever
adjuster pawl
Non of these can be checked effectively without drum removal. If the jobs worth doing, etc etc etc
That is exactly what I did, when I first got the car and realised just how bad the handbrake was, despite its fresh MOT.

Everything was in perfect order apart from a bit of surface rust in the drum and there was no wear on the shoes, so I just cleaned things up and lubricated where necessary, temporarily fitting a spacer under the adjuster nut That resulted in a perfect handbrake, so it was left like that until we discovered the problem was due to the now well known stretch of the compensator.

Having worked out how to modify them, I then fitted a modified one which has been great until quite recently, when I decided it was time it was readjusted.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 15:25   #16
SK51TTT
Regular poster

Rover 75 1.8 connoisseur SE Facelift

That's right Harry, I've always been aware of rear shoe problems ever since my Marina and Princess days when the set up was very similar to the present day Rover type, although as you know, the rear drum controlled both braking & handbrake.
It was standard procedure to heat up and free both the adjuster wheel and the lever to which the handbrake cable was attached, followed by a little copper slipping.
What was the temporary shim for?
SK51TTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 15:44   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
That's right Harry, I've always been aware of rear shoe problems ever since my Marina and Princess days when the set up was very similar to the present day Rover type, although as you know, the rear drum controlled both braking & handbrake.
It was standard procedure to heat up and free both the adjuster wheel and the lever to which the handbrake cable was attached, followed by a little copper slipping.
What was the temporary shim for?
It was to enable the slack to be taken up under the adjuster nut, before it was found that the compensator was the cause of all of the handbrake issues.

Someone on the forum spent a fortunes on brake cables, making an assumption that the cables had stretched, then found they made no difference. Then they bought a new compensator and compared it to the old one, noticing the difference and pointed it out on the forum. That then set me going trying to find a solution to the stretching compensator.

The reshaping and welding is the result.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote