Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th January 2016, 09:39   #161
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default stat

The diesel top hose is tapered, so, if you think the stat is not a good tight fit in it them just push it further up the hose towards the radiator.If you also suspect that the stat might be tilting inside the hose you can fit a jubilee clip for and aft of the rim to prevent this as an experiment. I repeat that you will not see 88C on our diesels unless you have the engine under a heavy load and I would consider a temp of 82C to be normal on my car at this time of year.

Last edited by wuzerk; 17th January 2016 at 09:46..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 10:01   #162
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

A new working but slightly leaking stat is peanuts compared to the open heater system.
If you want to make sure the engine warms up as fast as possible, block the grille and fit a valve in the heater circuit, so you physically can switch that circuit off.

Fit the bottom skirt/plate to the engine compartment, and that is all you can do.
Old 17th January 2016, 10:06   #163
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
A new working but slightly leaking stat is peanuts compared to the open heater system.
If you want to make sure the engine warms up as fast as possible, block the grille and fit a valve in the heater circuit, so you physically can switch that circuit off.

Fit the bottom skirt/plate to the engine compartment, and that is all you can do.
Erm have you been to UK lately ?!!
The whole mission of us wanting quick warmup is to get our heaters working quickly Brrrrrrrrrrr

Same goes for the Metal KV6 stat.
Yours runs too cool for Uk climate

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 10:17   #164
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Erm have you been to UK lately ?!!
The whole mission of us wanting quick warmup is to get our heaters working quickly Brrrrrrrrrrr

Same goes for the Metal KV6 stat.
Yours runs too cool for Uk climate
Well, that is exactly the point.

Most people don't seem to realize that the temperature of the stat does not make any difference if the engine does not get up to stats opening temperature.
Old 17th January 2016, 10:46   #165
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Agreed and that's why I state 7 miles for M47.
Radiator could be completely blanked off and 7 miles would still be fully warm distance in 5th gear

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 11:00   #166
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Most people don't seem to realize that the temperature of the stat does not make any difference if the engine does not get up to stats opening temperature.
It does in the case being discussed here. The R5 stat bleeds continuously into the radiator. There's plenty of evidence that the in-line stats raises running temperature (without over-working the engine) if it's water tight when closed.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 11:03   #167
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
"If a good silicone grease is used there is absolutely no need to grind the casing down. The Firstline stat slides in no problem at all"
Well there you go chaps.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 12:44   #168
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

It is fitted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
The diesel top hose is tapered, so, if you think the stat is not a good tight fit in it them just push it further up the hose towards the radiator.If you also suspect that the stat might be tilting inside the hose you can fit a jubilee clip for and aft of the rim to prevent this as an experiment. I repeat that you will not see 88C on our diesels unless you have the engine under a heavy load and I would consider a temp of 82C to be normal on my car at this time of year.
The hose clip is fitted firmly around the hose at the body of the stat. It is well seated level and sealed around the body to hose.

The temp seems to be 'normal' around the 82 to 84 mark, which until the ambient temps warm up, I am happy enough with (certainly better than the 75 from before). It is the speed at which it reaches these temps that concerns me now. Some people who have fitted this claim up to temp in 3 or 4 miles. Even driving like a 17 year old in a hire car, I cannot get it to temp that quickly.

I should add too, that the with the previous r5 stat fitted would only reach 75 by the time I reached my destination, this new one, reaches 75 within 3 miles

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 17th January 2016 at 12:52..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:33   #169
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Some people who have fitted this claim up to temp in 3 or 4 miles. Even driving like a 17 year old in a hire car, I cannot get it to temp that quickly.
I would be inclined to read such claims with a pinch of salt. Mine, with replaced OEM stat, gets up to temperature eventually - but it takes time and load to do it, even in the summer.

It really isn't possible for the engine to get up to temperature in the winter, with the interior heater taking what little surplus heat the engine produces, unless the engine is heavily loaded.

To make up for that 'deficiency', fit an FBH.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2016, 14:55   #170
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I would be inclined to read such claims with a pinch of salt. Mine, with replaced OEM stat, gets up to temperature eventually - but it takes time and load to do it, even in the summer.

It really isn't possible for the engine to get up to temperature in the winter, with the interior heater taking what little surplus heat the engine produces, unless the engine is heavily loaded.

To make up for that 'deficiency', fit an FBH.
Too many members have said it on too many different occasions to doubt it to be honest. Along with the fact that it now gets to 75 degrees so much more quickly than before(within 3 miles compared to 10), that I believe that it can be possible. As T-Cut has said the leak past the disc in the stat is the likely reason. It is quite substantial in my view, with just gravity, with water pump running this will be multiplied. The first video shows it quite clearly.

I am like a dog with a bone with this, so I apologise if it looks like I am ignoring anyone's advice. I am not, and I appreciate everyone's involvement and input. I am trying to do this methodically as possible, without clouding any solutions by concentrating on one component at a time. (which is why I havent restricted or blocked the heater hoses). Time and weather is hampering my opportunities doing much to it.

I have considered an FBH in the past, but ruled it out(at least in the near future) because of the complexity of fitment, and potential lack of use/benefit.

An interesting development I noticed after fitting the new inline stat was, as soon as the coolant reached 75, the heat in the cabin was noticeable warmer. As though the blower had been switched on. I rarely use the blower/ATC. (I do switch it on at least once a week however to 'excercise' it). My view would be that the heating circuit would not be zapping that much heat from the coolant when switched off. When I do switch it on, the temp does drop by up to 5 degrees quite quickly but does slowly and gently warm up again.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 17th January 2016 at 14:58..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote