Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd November 2017, 09:13   #141
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

[QUOTE=rustymotor;2566311]I for one would love to know what British made products we are going to be exporting around the world under any agreements.

Japanese cars made from imported Chinese steel perhaps..[/]

The list of what we export is extensive.

Try googling “what does the U.K. export?”

What we do export is actually very impressive - from gems to machinery - aircraft to pharmaceuticals.

Why is it that some people have such a downer on the U.K.’s achievement?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:27   #142
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

One final final final comment from me. Germany exports 3X as much as we do to India with none of our advantages of language, history or familial ties. And though geography may be not my strong point, when I last looked India was not in the EU. So where and how the heck are we going to trade our way to all these gleaming uplands that Messrs Gove and Johnson hold forth?
Why can't we just stay as we are - and try and reform the EU from within? There are bad times just around the corner (you could put that to music) when we're going to need all the friends we can gather. Why should anyone over the Channel owe us any favours at all from now on?
PS And wait for the Calais burghers to throw in the towel and let us sort out the problems of stowaways . . .
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:57   #143
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

[QUOTE=Darcydog;2566369]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
I for one would love to know what British made products we are going to be exporting around the world under any agreements.

Japanese cars made from imported Chinese steel perhaps..[/]

The list of what we export is extensive.

Try googling “what does the U.K. export?”

What we do export is actually very impressive - from gems to machinery - aircraft to pharmaceuticals.

Why is it that some people have such a downer on the U.K.’s achievement?

Do you know that 43% of all our exports go to EU countries?
and 54% of our imports come from EU countries?
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 09:59   #144
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Why can't we just stay as we are - and try and reform the EU from within? There are bad times just around the corner (you could put that to music) when we're going to need all the friends we can gather. Why should anyone over the Channel owe us any favours at all from now on?
PS And wait for the Calais burghers to throw in the towel and let us sort out the problems of stowaways . . .
I think we attempted to sort it out from the inside, but the EU were not for turning. The EU was set on a course of word domination and the more they progressed down that route of including all, the more expensive it was becoming, the less the advantage and benefit to us of being a member. The only sensible course left to us to preserve what we have left, was to leave the EU.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:18   #145
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Harry, well that sounds like a good reason to kick the EU in to touch however, the decision to leave was the referendum.

The leave voters wanted their voice heard, others voted because of immigration issues..I doubt that anyone voted with the correct knowledge of what might happen in terms of economic decline, currency crash etc..

I blame all the political parties for the way they portrayed the pros and cons of membership.

Naturally, no one likes the thought of being ruled from Brussels and or a European army etc, this is why IMO we should have renegotiated our membership terms and free ourselves from trade restrictions.
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:59   #146
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Indeed we have 2 splendid new aircraft carriers but just one problem - no aircraft because the MOD cocked up on what variant to buy so they are late. Only this government could do that. North Korea will be laughing their pants off at our ineptitude.
We've got 13 F35 delivered so far.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:12   #147
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
We've got 13 F35 delivered so far.
Indeed - and ordered whilst Tony Blair was in charge.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:15   #148
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post

Naturally, no one likes the thought of being ruled from Brussels and or a European army etc, this is why IMO we should have renegotiated our membership terms and free ourselves from trade restrictions.
Under the terms of EU membership - what you suggest we should have done is not possible. You cannot be a member of a Free Trade “club” and then negotiate different terms from what the club has - unless you leave the club.
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:31   #149
Darcydog
This is my second home

[QUOTE=rustymotor;2566384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

Do you know that 43% of all our exports go to EU countries?
and 54% of our imports come from EU countries?
Yes I do - and it is exactly because the net balance of trade is in our favour - from the EU to us by a margin of some 11% - that the loss of market to the EU will be felt more negatively by the EU than the U.K.

Do note that in order to sell 11% less to the EU than the EU sells to us costs us circa £8 Billion a year - our net contribution to the EU.

This £8Billion from us (and equivalent contributions from the other minority contributor EU member States) is redistributed to the poorer EU member States so they can improve their competitiveness so they can sell more....

Do you think paying £8 Billion to other countries to improve THEIR GDP at the expense of our own - is a good thing?
Old 22nd November 2017, 11:37   #150
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Under the terms of EU membership - what you suggest we should have done is not possible. You cannot be a member of a Free Trade “club” and then negotiate different terms from what the club has - unless you leave the club.
I don't see why not..France and Germany blocked Polish workers for years and against the EU rules on freedom of movement.

IMO, we would have had a good chance to negotiate a free trade agreement given we are a big financial contributor.

Trade rules are broken constantly, for example..the USA has set quotas for Chinese imports, the Chinese just ship via South America and get around the quotas..