Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th June 2012, 16:59   #131
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
Strange - mine only appeared when I replaced the HP pump!

Bob
Not that strange - it is the later HP pumps which cause the noise, the earlier ones didn't have the problem.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 00:04   #132
carcass
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi sportpack "anniversary edition"

Can anyone confirm the "older" model number to be 0445010011 ?
carcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 08:54   #133
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

Hi guys really sorry to drag a old thread up but i have this exact noise and its driving me mad,to the point of me not liking the car very much because of it,does anyone have a definitive answer to the problem and would anyone be able to fix it for me,i am prepared to travel any distance because i love the car apart from this.
And is it a expensive fix because money is tight at the minute.
Any help would be brilliant.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:11   #134
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2000cc View Post
Hi guys really sorry to drag a old thread up but i have this exact noise and its driving me mad,to the point of me not liking the car very much because of it,does anyone have a definitive answer to the problem and would anyone be able to fix it for me,i am prepared to travel any distance because i love the car apart from this.
And is it a expensive fix because money is tight at the minute.
Any help would be brilliant.
Its pointless to even worry about it let alone spend money on it.

When I noticed it I with mine I initially thought it was the alternator bearings or something mechanical.

After doing the standard test thanks to Jules.. (turn the engine off and see if it disappears instantly) I just accepted that it makes that noise but runs totally fine.

Its not really that intrusive to be honest!
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 09:13   #135
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

I understand what you are saying but i think it depends on how loud the noise is,and on my car its very loud! If it was quieter i could put up with it.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:18   #136
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Is all your sound deadening in place? On the bulkhead and under the bonnet?

Is the Engine cover on?

As far as I can work out, you either have to replace the HP pump or a valve on the side of the HP pump, and to me, it seems like a lot of hassle for nothing.

If it aint broke don't try and fix it!

I think if it was that easy, everyone would have done it by now instead of just living with it.

I'm one of the most OCD people I know, and I've managed to just accept it, definitely cheaper that way!

I could understand your concerns more if it was the flagship V8/260 model, but lets be honest, the diesels are more of a utility car.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 09:26   #137
Mark2000cc
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTI

Yes my cover is on and the deadening is in the correct place,to be honest i dont understand your comment about its only a diesel,at the end of the day its still my car wether its a v8 or a cdti,i still sit in it on a daily basis,i still drive it just as a v8 owner would drive theres and wether its a utility car or not i would love a fix for it.However if it is really expensive and a major faff i guess i will have to turn the radio up a few notches!
Cheers.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:55   #138
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Yes my cover is on and the deadening is in the correct place,to be honest i dont understand your comment about its only a diesel,at the end of the day its still my car wether its a v8 or a cdti,i still sit in it on a daily basis,i still drive it just as a v8 owner would drive theres and wether its a utility car or not i would love a fix for it.However if it is really expensive and a major faff i guess i will have to turn the radio up a few notches!
Cheers.
I heard it/ noticed it within days of getting mine. Not that prominent. I no longer hear it, unless I am particularly listening for it.

No one seems to have found a fix for it, but it is generally assumed to be a gasket or a valve vibrating in the later model HP pump. Swapping the pump for the earlier model from a scapper is suggested to fix the noise. None of the Mk I diesels seemed to suffer the noise.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 15:16   #139
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

Quote:
Cheers.
I'm lucky, or not so depending how you look at it. My pump was defective and leaking diesel. It had the whistle too. I replaced mine with a second hand unit from a 2002 car. I only did it because it was leaking though. To put it in perspective mine was £200 to fit + the cost of a second hand unit. I was still ********* it though as I didnt know if the second user pump would work or not. Fortunately for me it did and now my leak + whistle has gone. Im happy but out of pocket.

Would I spend that kind of dough and go through the same stress just to clear the noise? Answer nope!

Last edited by Dragrad; 1st May 2013 at 23:09.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 17:03   #140
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

It is worth fixing if the only thing spoiling the car is the whine!
Afterall it's a one off payment.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote