Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2012, 16:35   #131
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymix View Post
I have already done the test buttons on the intake valves. on the test with the pressure, it was not conclusive because the air doesn't compress

Can you detail what exactly you have done ?

Cheers,

Fidel

workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 17:30   #132
jymix
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 - Legendary Optimist ;)

I introduced a pipe with a diameter slightly larger than a spark plug to prevent air leakage in place of the spark plug. and using an air compressor I was sent the air but to no avail because the air does not compress
jymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 18:13   #133
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I introduced a pipe with a diameter slightly larger than a spark plug to prevent air leakage in place of the spark plug. and using an air compressor I was sent the air but to no avail because the air does not compress

1. are you sure that all four valves of that cylinder were closed, cams up ?
2. did you use a rubber pipe and there was no air leak along the hole thread ?

Cheers,

Fidel

workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 22:59   #134
jymix
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholic_ro View Post
I introduced a (rubber) pipe with a diameter slightly larger than a spark plug to prevent air leakage in place of the spark plug
How do we check if the valves are open or closed?

Last edited by jymix; 29th December 2012 at 23:02..
Old 29th December 2012, 23:43   #135
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Two things regarding bent valves.

1. Why don't you just purchase a borascope ( about £10 on ebay) mount it facing upwards on a metal coathanger and insert it throught the spark plug holes and view the valve on a laptop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Water...item19d21556bf

2. Does the engine turn over by hand? If it doesn't lock up take all the plugs out, spin it over on the starter motor and feel the compression by putting your hand over each spark plug access hole. If you have compression then the valves are seating and you don't have bent valves.

Reading your post #2, white smoke normally indicates coolant in cylinders. Does it loose coolant, is it does I would look at the inlet manifold gaskets. Coolant can get into some of the cylinders and can find its way to the injectors via the inlet manifold airways that heat the injectors to help with fuel vaporisation.

Last edited by rover54; 30th December 2012 at 02:50..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 08:37   #136
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

A quick test to check for bent valves - you only have to remove the spark plugs and cambelt cover:

With a marker pen put a mark on each cam sprocket and rotate each cam in the correct direction feeling for when you get the valve springs resisting - this is when the valves start to open. Put a mark next to the cam mark on the housing. Put another mark on the housing adjacent to the cam mark when the spring resistance stops ie when the valves are closed.

Then measure the distances between each set of gaps on the housing. If the valves are good they should all be equal. If some valves are bent then the gaps will be shorter than the others because bent valves won't follow the entire cam lift profile.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 16:11   #137
jymix
Avid contributor

Quote:
i chosed the new year's eve to redo the test valve with a compressor, and here are the results:
As regards the rear valve, and the compression is done by rotating the motor reacted anticlockwise.
But with regard to the valves before, i can not get compression. The air starts to escape through the holes in the intake manifold, then the two sparks plug and finally by exhaust ...
I'm turning the engine by hand, i only get that these three steps
what should i do?

All my good wishes for 2013 to all
Photo0111.jpg Photo0112.jpg Photo0113.jpg Photo0114.jpg

Last edited by jymix; 2nd January 2013 at 09:57..
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:36   #138
jymix
Avid contributor

Hello,
Nobody to help me?
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:52   #139
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

James,

I don't want to interfere unnecessarily, but as your usual helpers seem to be unavailable at the moment, here goes.

I think you may be doing the compressed air test incorrectly. Is the cam cover removed? Remove sparking plugs (to make rotating the engine easier). Find the camshaft lobes for the four valves for cylinder number 1. Rotate the engine slowly by hand until all four lobes are pointing upwards, so that the valves are closed, as Kaiser said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
... make sure both inlet and both exhaust valves are closed. That means that all cam lobes must point up, and away from the lifters below. In other words, they must not press the valves down.
Now feed compressed air into the sparking plug hole for cylinder number 1. Does the air escape? If so, from where?

Simon.
Old 2nd January 2013, 09:10   #140
jymix
Avid contributor

as regards the rear valve, the engine response to the air pressure of the compressor by turning

But with regard to the front valves, I can not get compression. The air starts to escape through the holes in the intake manifold, gradually turning the crank the engine, the air then exits through holes spark, and finally the exhaust ...

And yet, I proceeded in the same way as the rear cylinders.
I turned the engine slowly until the piston is the highest. Then I sent the compress air. but the air exits through the hole in the inlet manifold.
actually, I continued to send the compress air while turning the engine slowly hoping to get a complete closure of the valves but without success (air out through the spark plug and finally the exhaust).

Last edited by jymix; 2nd January 2013 at 09:51..