Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2009, 16:58   #111
Departed
Retired

--

Hi Hans.

Are any of these boards still available. Back when the idea was around, I only had a lownav car. Now I have hinav too.

I'm quite happy to assemble myself, and if you are out of PCB's might consider just the PIC.

Please let me know.

Cheers.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 21:01   #112
Julian
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 (V8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Thanks for prompt reply.
Hi again,
Well I got a little unexpected free time this weekend and have cracked it! I needed to change the COM port setting and reinstall the USB driver, but now Navcoder is working fine and I have been successful in enabling the ETA functionality. The pictures attached show a journey distance and ETA.
I have left the Ibus module in place in the boot: it's the small black unit stuck to the side of the TV tuner unit in the picture attached. Unfortunately I can't give you more of a HowTo as I had Austin Garages in Burton-on-Trent (whom I can't recommend too highly) do the wiring work, I just did the software coding.
I tried the functionality this afternoon and it gave a pretty accurate result on a 50-minute journey. The only quirk I have noticed is that if you want to change the road type (e.g. motorway vs. avoid motorway) for a journey in progress it won't recalculate the journey time on the fly. You need to cancel your existing guidance, change the road preference and then re-start the guidance. Do that and it appears to work perfectly.
So a bit laborious getting there but it seems pretty good in the end. (Oh, and the car started fine after a week away so I think the battery drain issue is fixed too!).
Julian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ibus_module.jpg (34.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Satnav_ETA_ (1).jpg (33.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Satnav_ETA_(2).jpg (33.2 KB, 91 views)
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 00:08   #113
ChineseRover
Banned

Rover 75 2.5 Conn automatic

I bought one of the Resler IBUS USB interface boards and wired it up to Hans’ clock board that I have already installed into my car last month. I also downloaded Navcoder and installed on my portable together with the additional Vista drivers recommended. These drivers merely present the USB port as an additional RS232 port. I suspect, therefore, that you could save money (5 euro!) by buying the RS232 version of the IBUS interface. Installation will also be simpler as you will not need to load the extra Vista drivers.

Followed the instructions for Navcoder, I started up the Sat Nav and connected the IBUS interface to the PC, started up Navcoder. This is a nice piece of software and was easy to follow. Ticked the box for time of arrival and saved. Rushed to the driver’s seat and not only did I have the time and distance to destination as supplied by Hans but now also ETA!

The navcoder software wants you to register the software – however you can tick the box for ETA on the unregistered version! I looked at the other things like driving around with your headlights on in broad daylight and having the TV work when the car is in motion. These however only work with the registered version. Since I would not dream of driving around with my lights on during the day or making the TV illegal, I suspect I will not need to register!

The only slight problem I had was when I had finished piggybacking the IBUS interface to Hans’ clock, I thought I better check that the sat nav still worked. When I switched on the ignition, nothing worked, the screen was blank and the radio dead. This was with the IBUS board attached but not connected to the PC. Slightly worried (read panic stricken!), I unplugged the IBUS and tried again. Everything fine! I then attached the IBUS board to the PC and plugged it into the clock, started up Navcoder and everything worked!

My installation is as follows:-

Mark4 computer, broad monitor, BM54 radio and digital / analogue TV. Now also have a spare IBUS USB interface.

Hope that helps!

Patrick
ChineseRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:45   #114
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

The Resler USB interface is powered by the USB connection to the PC.
If you leave the interface connected and remove the PC everything continues to function as before.
However if you power down the car and then start up again, the I(K) bus is pulled down by the interface.
Not an appealing feature if you ask me.
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 11:06   #115
ChineseRover
Banned

Thanks for the explanation Hans - it is a pity as I was I was planning to leave it installed along with your clock.

I must say I am very pleased with your clock board particularly now I have ETA. After nearly 8 years the 75 sat nav now provides the same facilities as the aged VDO system in the F that I installed soon after we got it in 1997!

Since the Resler USB device is now sitting ideally in my office, I would be happy to lend it to anyone one here who has successfully installed Hans' excellent board. Also happy to provide the vista drivers and evaluation copy of Navcoder on a memory stick. A couple of quid in the return package to cover costs would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Patrcik
Old 11th August 2009, 12:22   #116
Departed
Retired

--

Looking forward to playing with this when my clock arrives from Hans.

Got the Navcoder software and a serial port interface. Need to see if it all works!
Old 11th August 2009, 12:24   #117
Julian
Regular poster

MG ZT 260 (V8)

I bought the interface from Elektronik-Idee (link on the Navcoder site) and that seems to be working just fine.
Cheers,
Julian.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 14:12   #118
Departed
Retired

--

Well all installed and sort of working.

Navcoder talks to the system OK too.

Only oddity is I don't get a clock or anything, all I get is Saturday showing on the bottom line, where I had nothing before. I can't see any menu to adjust the clock, either. Is this all because I have a Mk3?

Anyway once my Navcoder registration comes back and I can play properly, I'll update!
Old 15th August 2009, 18:54   #119
ChineseRover
Banned

Do you have the journey length or ETA shown on the bottom line and have you set the ETA using your unregistered copy of Navcoder?
Old 15th August 2009, 21:26   #120
hans.schaaper
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 V6 auto

Default Lowed+ MK3

I asked KiwiJochen(NavCoder) if the clock would function equally well with MK3 Nav.
All he answered was "sure" (He is a very busy man).
hans.schaaper is offline   Reply With Quote