Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th October 2010, 18:58   #101
RichB
Gets stuck in

ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

I've just got mine installed and I must say I am very pleased so far. But I do have a couple of issues, some of which others have commented on. Now I installed this in 20 mins without reading the manual(?) so some might be me being a numpty...

General Fit:

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but the bottom edge of my unit doesn't sit flush with the heater control panel in the dash. It will push into position, but springs back out again, even with the top screws in place. Is it just wiring blocking access at the back? It feels like the weight of the unit hanging at the back is pushing the bottom-front out.

Radio:

I connected the car aerial and the supplied stick on aerial to the two sockets on the back of the unit. I can pick up most radio stations but the reception is generally poor on the move with plenty of hissing and crackling. Is there a way to improve this?

RDS is working, I can see it retune the channel to stronger frequencies. But it seems to wait until reception has gone very poor until it does this. My previous kenwood RDS retuning was almost imperceptible. Maybe this will be fixed when my aerial/reception is improved?

TA button is puzzling me. With TA turned on, it would do a search (RDS description says TA seek) about every minute or so and the radio sound would go off during this time for about 5 seconds, but it would never find anything. I drove 280 miles from North to South and never received one traffic announcement.

Satnav:

Having never owned a satnav, I'm very pleased with IGO8 and find it very easy to use. However, it doesn't seem to have the road info for my area (Bracknell). In fact, I drove from Bracknell, along M4, M25 and A1M and only 20 miles up the A1M did it detect the road it was on. It could see POI's such as petrol stations as I passed them, but when trying to set a route it kept saying could not detect current position. On the way back, my mapped stopped at the A329M. When I look on the overview map, I see Wokingham in detail, but nothing for Bracknell. I think this must be an issue with the IGO software missing some data???

When checking TMC settings, it first had to detect the hardware and then went on to detect stations. None were found. I have ordered a splitter as others have and hope this fixes the TMC.

Oh, and the loudness button doesn't seem to do anything??

On the plus side I have discovered my Sony Ericsson C905 supports bluetooth music streaming which I am well happy about, so no need to plug my USB memory stick in!

I still need to wire up the steering controls and connect the wire to dim the display when lights are on, will do that when my aerial splitter arrives. If anyone can suggest improvements for the radio reception I would much appreciate it.

Cheers,
Rich
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 19:30   #102
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I've just got mine installed and I must say I am very pleased so far. But I do have a couple of issues, some of which others have commented on. Now I installed this in 20 mins without reading the manual(?) so some might be me being a numpty...

Does that mean you actually managed to read and make sense of the manual later

General Fit:

I haven't seen this mentioned before, but the bottom edge of my unit doesn't sit flush with the heater control panel in the dash. It will push into position, but springs back out again, even with the top screws in place. Is it just wiring blocking access at the back? It feels like the weight of the unit hanging at the back is pushing the bottom-front out.

You probably have cables slightly trapped, I had the same at first - it is quite a bunch. Having said that, it is quite a weight to be hanging from just the two screws alone and I was thinking to fit some sort of support at the bottom rear.

Radio:

I connected the car aerial and the supplied stick on aerial to the two sockets on the back of the unit. I can pick up most radio stations but the reception is generally poor on the move with plenty of hissing and crackling. Is there a way to improve this?

Might be worth checking your aerial amp has its 12v supply.

When checking TMC settings, it first had to detect the hardware and then went on to detect stations. None were found. I have ordered a splitter as others have and hope this fixes the TMC.

We all found that and yes the splitter should resolve it.

It did seem to make a slight difference when I first put mine in, but now I'm being a bit more critical - I cannot tell any difference at all. Is there a setting somewhere which might set the difference it makes?

On the plus side I have discovered my Sony Ericsson C905 supports bluetooth music streaming which I am well happy about, so no need to plug my USB memory stick in!

Good innit? I have never come across bluetooth which connects so quickly and so reliably. Turn the ignition on and a second later the phone in my pocket bleeps as the bluetooth connects

If anyone can suggest improvements for the radio reception I would much appreciate it.

Reception was not as good with my hi-line, as on my previous F*rd - the new DD unit suffers similarly - so I suspect the aerial system is not as effective as it could be.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 19:37   #103
Checker09
Regular poster

Rover 75

Might be worth checking your aerial amp has its 12v supply.?????

I need a 12V supply? for wich aerial? I connected 2 areials a GPS ( with magnet) and a very long one ???? (Should have TMC / RDS/ TV)

Cheers Niki

Last edited by Checker09; 19th October 2010 at 19:48..
Checker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 19:51   #104
RichB
Gets stuck in

ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Might be worth checking your aerial amp has its 12v supply.
My car is a basic spec one with a Kenwood CD player. The aerial is tied into the loom along with the other connector blocks, not down in the footwell like highline owners report. Is my aerial still amplified? If so, how have I disconnected the supply when swapping from the kenwood to the double din?

Cheers,
Rich
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 19:54   #105
Checker09
Regular poster

Rover 75

RichB
I have tha same problem with the radio as you. I also got a very poor signal.

Hope someone can help me too.

Cheers Niki
Old 19th October 2010, 20:09   #106
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
My car is a basic spec one with a Kenwood CD player. The aerial is tied into the loom along with the other connector blocks, not down in the footwell like highline owners report. Is my aerial still amplified? If so, how have I disconnected the supply when swapping from the kenwood to the double din?

Cheers,
Rich
I don't yet know the 75 that well, but I suspect they all must have an aerial amp to help make up for the size of the antenna located in the rear window. My grandson, who put the TV antenna's in the rear window suggested he found my radio antenna amp behind the cover of the D pillar, the off side one I think. He had slapped the cover back on, before I actually got to see it or more importantly check its 12v supply. I don't think my reception is bad enough to suggest the amp isn't working, just not as good as I am used to.

The amp on my Ford came with its 12v at the amp disconnected and its reception was terrible until I spotted the problem and sorted it out - my 75 is not even nearly that bad.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 19th October 2010 at 20:12..
Old 19th October 2010, 20:50   #107
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

General Fit:

Radio:

RDS is working, I can see it retune the channel to stronger frequencies. But it seems to wait until reception has gone very poor until it does this. My previous kenwood RDS retuning was almost imperceptible. Maybe this will be fixed when my aerial/reception is improved?

TA button is puzzling me. With TA turned on, it would do a search (RDS description says TA seek) about every minute or so and the radio sound would go off during this time for about 5 seconds, but it would never find anything. I drove 280 miles from North to South and never received one traffic announcement.

Satnav:

Having never owned a satnav, I'm very pleased with IGO8 and find it very easy to use. However, it doesn't seem to have the road info for my area (Bracknell). In fact, I drove from Bracknell, along M4, M25 and A1M and only 20 miles up the A1M did it detect the road it was on. It could see POI's such as petrol stations as I passed them, but when trying to set a route it kept saying could not detect current position. On the way back, my mapped stopped at the A329M. When I look on the overview map, I see Wokingham in detail, but nothing for Bracknell. I think this must be an issue with the IGO software missing some data???

I still need to wire up the steering controls and connect the wire to dim the display when lights are on, will do that when my aerial splitter arrives. If anyone can suggest improvements for the radio reception I would much appreciate it.

Cheers,
Rich
Hi Rich,

I too have a 1mm protrusion at the bottom, its the wires at the back. When mine comes out next weekend for the Freeview tuner and Sub install I will tidy them up a bit.
My car has a radio support mounted on the rear of the D/Din opening just under the chassis tube, does yours not have this?? Maybe another Project drive deletion!! This takes the weight of the unit well.

I think most of your other worries are related to the aerials.

Firstly discard the supplied TMA bit of string on suckers as it is woefully naff.
Obtain a spitter or make one from 2 mail and 1 femail Aerial jack from Maplins and a foot of coax. Cost £7 all in.
Connect the aerial input to the splitter and then splitter to the two inputs on the rear of the set. TMA sorted and radio reception as well.

The loudness button is a bit of an anomaly but it works in your favor. If the tone controls are at nutral, it WILL bost the loudness of the output from the amp, (play a punchy track) but if you have whacked the bass and treble up, especially to full, it will cut the loudness, i.e the opposite to what you might expect. This may seem to be a little naff but it stops the amp from busting the poor speakers with the tone controls set to full!!

I beleive the rear screen must be amplified already as the car has some gear stuffed in the read nearside 'C' post inner cover, you can check here by pulling if off and looking, I know the Hi line systems have their tv aerial boosters there.

I have Two different critiques!!
1/The Brightness control dosent really allow you to dim the display all that much for night driving so i just hold Mute button for 2 seconds and the screen illumination is suspended, until you touch a control! good huh!

2/The BT Music function does not allow one to choose tracks at random or from a list etc from my iphone, just play, stop, forward, backward. The Ipod function allows everything all from one rotary knob!!

DVDs are brilliant, even on standard car speakers, watched Quantam of Solace today and the surround sound was awsome, as was the picture. God knows whats going to happen when my Vibe 12" sub woofer in installed,,,might need replacement glass!!!!!

Pop in an SD card or memory stick with pictures on (Jpegs) and the unit will throw a nice slide show of all pics.
If you have a favourite one, pause it, just grab the remote and press 'Prog' and that pic will become your Boot/DVD screen!!

The steering controls are not bad at all, just splicing two wires and thats it, apart from setting up in 'settings'

Happy days!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 19th October 2010 at 20:52..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 21:08   #108
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Obtain a spitter or make one from 2 mail and 1 femail Aerial jack from Maplins and a foot of coax. Cost £7 all in.
Connect the aerial input to the splitter and then splitter to the two inputs on the rear of the set. TMA sorted and radio reception as well.

Two 12" aerial extension cost me around £1.75 each from a car accessory shop. Then all you need to do is cut the female of one lead off and T the cut end into the other lead.

The loudness button is a bit of an anomaly but it works in your favor. If the tone controls are at nutral, it WILL bost the loudness of the output from the amp, (play a punchy track) but if you have whacked the bass and treble up, especially to full, it will cut the loudness, i.e the opposite to what you might expect. This may seem to be a little naff but it stops the amp from busting the poor speakers with the tone controls set to full!!

Thanks for that, I knew it had seemed to do something when I first tried it.

Old 19th October 2010, 21:40   #109
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Two 12" aerial extension cost me around £1.75 each from a car accessory shop. Then all you need to do is cut the female of one lead off and T the cut end into the other lead.
Nice one Harry! Didnt know you could get 12" extention leads!! That beats me on the 'El cheapo' stakes and only one set of soldering to do!! Excellent!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 22:14   #110
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Nice one Harry! Didnt know you could get 12" extention leads!! That beats me on the 'El cheapo' stakes and only one set of soldering to do!! Excellent!
BTW...

The none coloured hot melt glue, dribbled over the T joint makes it firm after it has been soldered. It is good at least upto the gigaherz range and much better than tape or sleeving to apply.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 19th October 2010 at 22:17..