Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th March 2012, 11:29   #1
bobby9205

MG ZT-T

Default Low Oil Pressure 1.8t

Hi All,

my 2004 MG ZT-T 1.8 turbo died on me last night, just before it stopped the computer flashed up "low oil pressure" and the stopped.
Breakdown was called out but couldnt diagnose anything so I was towed home

Now I know I have a problem with my in tank fuel pump - so I keep the fuel level above half full (I was about to have lpg put on the car so this would have eradicated the fuel issue)

The things I have tried so far -

topped up oil - was on about a 1/3rd on the dipstick

removed several breather pipes to check not blocked

removed and cleaned oil pressure switch

checked fuel cut out switch behind glove box

disconnected battery and pressed brake and turned ignition on (hoping to clear any codes)

removed no 1 spark plug left connected, turned engine over and checked it was sparking (it was and did get a faint wiff of fuel).

THE CAR WILL TURN OVER FINE BUT NOT FIRE UP - am i doing anything wrong???

Is there anything else I could check prior to getting a garage involved?

I do have a obd II code reader but it doesnt fit the connector under the steering wheel, is there another type I should get?

I have thought about removing the sump to check the oil pick up but it appears to be a right faff, so any ideas prior to doing that will be appreciated!

Cheers
bobby9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 11:36   #2
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby9205 View Post
I do have a obd II code reader but it doesnt fit the connector under the steering wheel, is there another type I should get?
Can't help you on the techie bit but I thought the OBD11 socket was standard. It does only fit oneway tho'

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 11:41   #3
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby9205 View Post
Hi All,

my 2004 MG ZT-T 1.8 turbo died on me last night, just before it stopped the computer flashed up "low oil pressure" and the stopped.
Breakdown was called out but couldnt diagnose anything so I was towed home

Now I know I have a problem with my in tank fuel pump - so I keep the fuel level above half full (I was about to have lpg put on the car so this would have eradicated the fuel issue)

The things I have tried so far -

topped up oil - was on about a 1/3rd on the dipstick

removed several breather pipes to check not blocked

removed and cleaned oil pressure switch

checked fuel cut out switch behind glove box

disconnected battery and pressed brake and turned ignition on (hoping to clear any codes)

removed no 1 spark plug left connected, turned engine over and checked it was sparking (it was and did get a faint wiff of fuel).

THE CAR WILL TURN OVER FINE BUT NOT FIRE UP - am i doing anything wrong???

Is there anything else I could check prior to getting a garage involved?

I have thought about removing the sump to check the oil pick up but it appears to be a right faff, so any ideas prior to doing that will be appreciated!

Cheers
Fuel pump might have come apart, you have a 2005 car which will have the later in-tank fuel pump; these come apart. Don't panic, the simply screw back together and the famous Orange clip is installed. Regarding your keeping half a tank of fuel, I think you have been reading problems with diesel in-tank and under bonnet fuel pumps, yours is a late modelled petrol so you need the info below.

All you need to know about the FOC is contained within this pearl of wisdom

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=orange+clip

Last edited by rover54; 17th March 2012 at 12:40..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2012, 12:41   #4
bobby9205

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
I suspect engine has gone into shutdown mod as a pretection. You need to talk to somebody like Marinabrian who is a wiz with a T4, he will probably have your answer. PM him, he is a very nice guy. Also fuel pump might have come apart, you have a 2005 car which will have the later in-tank fuel pump; these come apart. Don't panic, the simply screw back together and the famous Orange clip is installed.

All you need to know about the FOC is contained within this pearl of wisdom

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ht=orange+clip
Hi, thanks for the info - foc already installed! And have now sent marinabrian a pm.

Anyone out there have any ideas as to how I can get my ZT out of shutdown mode???
Old 17th March 2012, 12:51   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Is the engine getting fuel? Find a suitable fuel line to crack from the pump to the engine, crack it and you should get a squrt of fuel. Warning protect yourself at fuel is under quite a pressure if pump is working. If you have got a spark and you have got fuel pressure, it has to be something with the electronics that might not be allowing the injectors to work. You probably need a T4 exam which Marinabrain can advise you on.

Last edited by rover54; 17th March 2012 at 12:53..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 07:57   #6
bobby9205

MG ZT-T

Default Problem now sorted!!!

Thanks for all the replys, sorted it now, it was nothing to do with low oil pressure!!! I have no idea why that flashed up???

It turned out to be a detached pipe from the in tank fuel pump!!!
Old 18th March 2012, 08:08   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The oil pressure alarm always comes up when the engine stops with the ignition still on.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote