Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2007, 14:42   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default 'Classic car' insurance on Rover 75s over 10 years old

This is a public service announcment from Tourerfogey

Mention has been made in a couple of threads about 75s and ZTs being eligible for 'Classic Car' insurance once they are 10 years old.

This is of course good news.

However, a word of caution.

Do remember to check the level of cover offered by some of these policies. There are usually mileage restrictions on such policies but more importantly cover for certain types of 'use' are often restricted in so much that 'Social Domestic and Pleasure' is covered but driving to and from work isn't.

So just remember to check the small print before signing on that dotted line.

Old 5th October 2007, 14:56   #2
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Hmmmm! Makes me wonder.

I've got my TR7 on an agreed value insurance through the TR Register. I forget the name of the insurance company backing the policy as that changed, but was Cornhill.

My cover allows me to use the TR7 for commuting and business use, I complete a form every two or is it three years (?) to declare the condition and value, this is agreed and there you go. I have my car limited to 2,000 miles a year (so far done about 30, and that's not a typo!) although higher mileage and limitless cover is available too.)

Anyway, the point is, the TR Register has negotiated a deal with the agents (whose name I can easily find out at home, if needs be) and members get a great deal come renewal time. I have to declare I'm a club member and each renewal, the TR register gets a commission from the insurance company.

You can probably guess what's coming next!

I wondered if our Club could do something similar so that members, the club and indeed the insurance company get a great deal?

Just a thought, Steve
Old 5th October 2007, 15:08   #3
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Spot on although any age ZT can qualify

One of the advantages with CC insurance is it is relatively cheap and does not require any NCB. Downside is as you say limited mileage and normally SDP only.
I had my 2004 ZT 260 on a CC policy 5000 miles a year with Lancaster.
however afaik Lancaster do not offer CC policies for the 75....yet
Old 5th October 2007, 15:13   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
You can probably guess what's coming next!

I wondered if our Club could do something similar so that members, the club and indeed the insurance company get a great deal?

Just a thought, Steve
I think we discussed in a similar thread it might be worth considering one day but whether a real world saving can be made in the dog eat dog world of car insurance is debateable.
Most people seem to pay the lowest quote once they get to a point where they are sick of providing all their personal info for the umpteenth time to some tele-operater who needs to know far to much info to give a simple quote.

Then what happens spam and spam snail mail by the bucket load (well perhaps not next week) based on all the info they get from you
Old 5th October 2007, 15:23   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I looked into the possibility of insuring my ZT as a classic using info provided by Keith. With an annual declared mileage of 7K, SDP, etc. it came to £330. NCD is not required.
I have since decided to go with M&S (not classic) at £251 which covers me for everything, protected bonus, replacement vehicle, legal cover and business miles too. Only limitation, which I invoked myself was 12K miles per year, which is in fact rather more than I actually do.
This policy also includes RAC cover (the full monty).
The only reason for having classic insurance I feel is for covering a real classic very low mileage car, then classic policies come into their own.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 5th October 2007 at 16:05..
Old 5th October 2007, 15:38   #6
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

as long as we don't confuse classic insurance with "modern classic" insurance. 2 totally different things. I ran all my Rover SD1's and my XJ40 on a limited mileage classic policy, as it suited me, as mentioned above this may not suit everybody and if you intend doing high miles a classic policy will not suit you at all.

It would suit those who want to use the 75 as a 2nd car, (for weekends and shows etc) and maybe somebody who does not do a lot of miles. all policy's are different, some require the car to actually be a 2nd car, it may need to be garaged, you may have to be a club member, you may also need a club valuation letter etc etc...

anyway, we are a few years away from it so who knows what may change before then.
Old 5th October 2007, 16:18   #7
Simon
Banned

-

I too have got a Classic Car policy on my Red Zed. As it used for social and domestic use (no commuting but I did specify commuting on the policy just in case I need to drive and park at work). Limited mileage but considering I don't drive to work then it suits me perfectly well. The added bonus is that my quote from them (Lancaster) worked out about half the price as some mainstream insurers.

It pays to shop around and there's no doubt that a classic car policy will suit quite a few of us.
Closed Thread