Notices

Old 16th December 2011, 06:15   #11
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
Dont the 'professionals' use betamax or a version of it??
Yes and no. The first broadcast variant was called Betacam and although the cassette shell was the same, that's where the similarity ended. The tape moved faster, and the recorded signal was quite different. Although you could use a blank domestic Betamax tape in a Betacam VTR or camcoder, you couldn't playback a Betacam recording in a standard Betamax home player.

The original Betacam system was actually sub broadcast quality and was primarily used for news gathering, however it was later enhanced by Sony to full broadcast spec and renamed Betacam SP. The main difference being the formulation of the tape and the way the signals were recorded onto it.

That system was widely used until the introduction of Digital Betacam or Digi Beta as it is more commonly known. This system is still in widespread use today, but is not capable of recording in HD.

Well, you did ask :xmas-smiley-004:
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 06:19   #12
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Yes and no. The first broadcast variant was called Betacam and although the cassette shell was the same, that's where the similarity ended. The tape moved faster, and the recorded signal was quite different. Although you could use a blank domestic Betamax tape in a Betacam VTR or camcoder, you couldn't playback a Betacam recording in a standard Betamax home player.

The original Betacam system was actually sub broadcast quality and was primarily used for news gathering, however it was later enhanced by Sony to full broadcast spec and renamed Betacam SP. The main difference being the formulation of the tape and the way the signals were recorded onto it.

That system was widely used until the introduction of Digital Betacam or Digi Beta as it is more commonly known. This system is still in widespread use today, but is not capable of recording in HD.

Well, you did ask :xmas-smiley-004:
Thank you, very informative.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 22:22   #13
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Well...... My JVC 9400 has arrived, all looking dandy and very er,, nineties
The casing is a champagne gold with lookalike rosewood end panels,,,very dashing!! It has the monicer, "Elegance" attached to it so is similar to a certain quality german motor car manufacturer with a car of the same name and quality!
........and taking all the pros and cons into account, I duly spun through a few dvd....er... I mean cassettes this evening and i was truly pleased with the result.

As it is/was a top ender, the tracking, sound and picture are spot on! Infact on my Panasonic plasma screen, the picture is way better than watching an LED screen with a standard broadcast definition picture!!!! This is usually **** at best.

It has some tech called 3R to enhance the picture somewhat and it has so many other gizmos that are not now needed (analog tuner, satalite syncronicity) or never will be of any use to me (dubbing, jlip???) as for the timers,,,,forget it!

I have what i wanted years ago at a snip of the price, i can enjoy videos the way we used to, nothing wrong with that. And when i want to, I can flip of the cover and give the internals a good clean up with some IPA.

You try doing anything remotely clever with a dodgy CD mechanisim

Thinking about it, our cars are well and truly analog even though digitaly enhanced!!!

Happy holidays

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 22:48   #14
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
And when i want to, I can flip of the cover and give the internals a good clean up with some IPA.
A bliss...

Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 12:28   #15
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

We still use VHS at work, still have to buy loads of VHS tapes. No money to digitise it all! I wonder how many other industries and places of work still use VHS?
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 20:23   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Just bought THREE VCR units from our local bankrupt stock place.

Brand new in the original, unopened, boxes.

15 quid each !!!!!!

One made a great Xmas present to my daughter.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote