Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2011, 20:18   #21
tariq
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Conns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
As an afterthought, I recall seeing claims from ZT 190 owners that they get surprisingly good MPG figures from their cars.

My S-Type manages 21-23MPG around town and up to around 35 on a motorway run, travelling at a fairly steady 70mph.

If a ZT 190 would do significantly better, I might be tempted... (although a diesel is preferable!)

240bhp and 35mpg even at the most grandpa of speeds is free motoring in my book
I've got those mpg motorway figures from nothing more than 4 cylinder cars and 150bhp less
tariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 21:15   #22
Craig
Loves to post

BMW (E60) 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq View Post
240bhp and 35mpg even at the most grandpa of speeds is free motoring in my book
I've got those mpg motorway figures from nothing more than 4 cylinder cars and 150bhp less
If 35mpg was typical, it might not be so bad. But when traffic is heavy and speeds variable, you sometimes feel the need to 'make up lost time' after a slow period. Well, I do! Under those circumstances, 29 - 30 is more likely.

Which, for a 3 litre V6, is still not that bad.

See, day to day running with the occasional long drive is fine. My weekly commuting mileage is around 120, which is tolerable, even with today's fuel prices.

But if I go to see my mum in Penarth (Wales) it's a 300 mile round trip. That's the equivalent of more than 2 weeks of fuel in a day and, when I get back, I need to refuel for the daily commute. It is the increasing regularity of these trips that will push the monthly running costs of my beloved S-Type into the unacceptable zone.

Hence the current state of affairs.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 01:07   #23
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Have you considered getting a Citroen 1.9D ZX from ebay? they are plentifull and cheap as chips.. I got mine for £600 some years ago, but that was expensive coz it's an auto.

You can pick up a reasonable manual one for £400 ish.. Most manuals are turbo, but still return 60 mpg+ and can run on cooking oil straight from the shelves..

At least it would give you breathing room to sell your Jag and look for something else..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 10:50   #24
Craig
Loves to post

BMW (E60) 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Have you considered getting a Citroen 1.9D ZX from ebay? they are plentifull and cheap as chips.. I got mine for £600 some years ago, but that was expensive coz it's an auto.

You can pick up a reasonable manual one for £400 ish.. Most manuals are turbo, but still return 60 mpg+ and can run on cooking oil straight from the shelves..

At least it would give you breathing room to sell your Jag and look for something else..
I have considered similar, yes. At the moment it makes no sense for me to tie up any money (even a few hundred pounds) that could immediately be added to the proceeds of the sale of my S-Type, if need be, in order to purchase a replacement.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 23:22   #25
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

OK, but bear in mind you will almost certainly have to spend money on your next car after you have bought it, fixing faults that you were unaware of..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 07:47   #26
Tractor Boy
Posted a thing or two

75 contempary, ZT now sold

Hi Craig, I may be thinking of letting my car go in the near future as new contracts at work mean I dont have to travel as far now. I have sent you a pm with details.