Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th August 2011, 15:36   #1
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Default Couple of issues I have with the new car

Hello all, Been playing and have a couple of queries....

PLENUM....

I know i'll get varying answers but here goes... Did the spyhole mod on our new car today expecting to look through and see lots of crud etc. I look through my nice new hole and see..... The drive under the car has the rubber drain has been removed or has someone been in there and tank cut a new hole. Upshot of this is the plenum was squeaky and I mean squeaky clean like a new cars... Now do I buy new rubbers or just leave them out??

Passenger Electric seat & heaters

Pointed out to me when I bought it was the fact the passenger side keeps randomly blowing fuses. Strangely though it blows fuse number 25 which the manual says is for seat heating only. However when it blows the seat stops moving??? and the heaters don't work. Fuse 21 is for power seats and this does not blow.

Please note that this fuse blows not while either the seat or heaters are being used, just you'll go to move the seat and it's dead, change the fuse will be ok for a while then you'll go to change position and it's dead again..

Checked the wiring under the seats and apart from not being in the holders was all ok.

Any thoughts, apart from it doesn't really matter coz i'm usually in the other seat....I've also gradually temporarily upped the fuse and it doesn't matter last one was a 30amp and i've now gone back to a 20amp. working fine at the mo.

Any thoughts or anybody else had this.

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 16:22   #2
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Steve, apparently if the Rubber Plenum tube has been removed it will allow water to drain into a double skinned area which could hold water and then cause rust? So better to have a tube there. Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 16:28   #3
whitevanman
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
Steve, apparently if the Rubber Plenum tube has been removed it will allow water to drain into a double skinned area which could hold water and then cause rust? So better to have a tube there. Dave
Thanks Dave was thinking along those lines currently trawling Rimmers site as I need a new traction cable & sill trim as well. Just sold my MX5 hardtop so i've a few pennies to splash about next a service kit.....and some new auto fluid.

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
Old 28th August 2011, 16:34   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Glad you got away with upping the fuses, as there is a danger that if a higher rated fuse than the original is put in a circuit the wiring can burn out and the car can even catch fire.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 23:46   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Steve.
You could try getting to our meet where i have an exchange plenum tray with the mod already done i have 6 ready at the moment and with the template i have made it only takes me a few minutes to do them. Also you will get help and gain knowledge of what else you need to check and do well worth the journey. You can in the mean if you like do the spyhole and the drivers side plenum drain hole from under the car below you will find the links cheers Arctic

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=89877

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...33&postcount=9

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 29th August 2011 at 00:02..
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 05:58   #6
whitevanman
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Glad you got away with upping the fuses, as there is a danger that if a higher rated fuse than the original is put in a circuit the wiring can burn out and the car can even catch fire.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I was pretty sure it was/is a dead short somewhere and as such it was going to blow a fuse no matter what size really, just wanted to test my theory. It's not a big deal as it took 2 weeksish to blow the last one. Everytime I got in the car i'd just try the heaters/seat.

We'll now leave it as a dead circuit until we need to move the seat, move it and then remove the fuse to be on the safe side. A pain but until I can find the short the safest option methinks

I won't make the wolves meet Arctic as we are going to the 2nd national as it's a bit nearer! Hopefully i'll get some advice/assistance/good ideas there

Many thanks guys
Steve