Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th July 2011, 11:34   #1
Hope

MG ZT T

Unhappy Help mg zt

Hi, can anyone tell me the faults that are indicated when the Engine Management light comes on as the garage just kept switching the light of and told me there isn't a problem but when I drove the car away the light immediately came on again.
Then one day travelling to work the vehicle broke down the Pistons had cracked and where bent, piston sleeves warped Cylinder head gasket gone so I had to replace the engine. The car had only done 39,000 miles and had a service history with cam belt being changed at 26592 miles.
The garage doesn't want to know and at first said that it was the cam belt and that that was down to me. Trading standards have had no joy but thinks I have a good case to take him to court as they had ample time to repair the problem that's why I need to know the faults that may appear on his diagnostic machine.
I am trying to decide whether to go to court as the replacement engine, car hire etc has been costly so I need as much information as I can get to make that decision
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:04   #2
mr shifter
Regular poster

zt + 1.8t

It would depend on which scanner/reader the garage used. Some only show fault codes which can be a multitude of things. The eml light on is only an indication of an issue, wether it be major or minor. Just because its illuminated doesnt mean its a specific thing.
Has the car had a headgasket change?
mr shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:20   #3
AndyV
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T Connoisseur SE

First of all, sorry to hear of your problem, it must have cost a fair bit to replace the engine - hope your enjoying the car & its going well now its sorted.

Its highly likely the diagnostic machine would have read codes that could have identified a problem. Some codes are generic and the machine would translate them into the relevant error message. Other codes are exclusive to MG Rover but the code numbers would be shown, then the operator just looks them up in a table.

I think if you paid the garage to do work on your car and/or for the use of the diagnostic service, you have a strong case for taking them to court on the grounds of negligence, but I'm no lawyer - trading standards should have a better idea of likely success with this. But try to negotiate with the garage first. Wishing you the best of luck with this!
AndyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:34   #4
robdrinkwater

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post
Hi, can anyone tell me the faults that are indicated when the Engine Management light comes on as the garage just kept switching the light of and told me there isn't a problem but when I drove the car away the light immediately came on again.
Then one day travelling to work the vehicle broke down the Pistons had cracked and where bent, piston sleeves warped Cylinder head gasket gone so I had to replace the engine. The car had only done 39,000 miles and had a service history with cam belt being changed at 26592 miles.
The garage doesn't want to know and at first said that it was the cam belt and that that was down to me. Trading standards have had no joy but thinks I have a good case to take him to court as they had ample time to repair the problem that's why I need to know the faults that may appear on his diagnostic machine.
I am trying to decide whether to go to court as the replacement engine, car hire etc has been costly so I need as much information as I can get to make that decision
You don't say which engine you have, but if it had a cam belt it obviously isn't the diesel.

The engine management light can be illuminated by literally hundreds of different fault codes, most relating to electronic problems.

IF you have a 1.8 engine, it is highly likely that the headgasket failed, as they tend to do on that engine due to lack of maintenance/coolant/chekcing for leaks etc.

Therefore it is less likely that the fact the mechanic was turning the MIL light off regularly has actually cuased your problem, the HGF is likely with the resultant coolant in the cylinders bending con rods, smashing pistons etc.

However, it is still pretty silly of the mechanic to put the light out without at least reporting back to you what the problem is, as he would be able to offer to fix the problem for you and charge you accordingly.

Regards, Rob.
robdrinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 13:51   #5
Hope

MG ZT T

Hi,
This is what I dont understand as the Water Oil and Petrol where checked every time I went to work as it is a 90 mile round trip ?
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote