Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2011, 11:33   #1
Ross McCormack

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Question on Cam Belt Replacent for V6

Hi Guys I am in the middle of replacing the timing belts on my Rover 75 V6 and it is an involved and long job. I have everything stripped down and I am about to fit the new main belt following the Haines Manual. I have the proper locking tools and I am just wondering - The manual says lock the cams using the tools then unbolt the cam pulleys and remove and inspect etc. Then using new bolts finger tighten the cam pulley bolts, position the new belt over the pulley and then using the locking tools lock cam pulley into position and tighten the bolt etc. My question for those who have been here before. why do I need to take off the cam pulleys - why can't I just leave them as they are. Feed the new belt on and lock the cam in position with the tools and carry on from there.
Ross McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:04   #2
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Default K V6 cambelt change instructional video

Hi Ross - and welcome to the Forum from England!

I have no practical expertise - but thought this original Rover technical training video may help you: www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fFx8SPiTSc&feature=search

I am sure others will be along soon to give you proper practical advice.

All the best,

Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:12   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

The quick answer is that you can The suggestion for removing the sprockets is so that you can inspect the teeth for wear ; don't think many of us are having a problem with that so we don't bother.
However you are then wasting one of the reasons for having the tools . The sprockets are fitted on separate hubs . You lock the centres/hubs and thereby the camshafts , but if the sprockets are loosened they can turn on the hubs . THis allows you to perfectly align the sprocket with the teeth on the belt for a first time fit with a new belt , and allows movement to ensure even tension distributed throughout the belt , without moving the shafts at all . Once you have loosened the bolts , you are advised to fit new ones as they will have been stressed . Fussy , but perfection
If you are using the tools , you will have removed the camshaft end caps . Take your time fitting the new ones as they are tricky to access , and if not fitted well can come loose and cause oil spills . They can be tapped in with the side of a small hammer , or pressed in with a wooden lever braced against the inner wing.
Take your time , and good luck
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:39   #4
Ross McCormack

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks Chris & Nickolas for your help - I thought it may have been something like that. Car has only done 65,000ks but is now 10years old. I found that both the tensioner pulley and idler pulley were noisy and show movement and there are 2 places on the belt where the rubber coating is starting to degrade. So maybe another 10,000ks before it self destructed.

Regards
Ross McCormack
Ross McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:15   #5
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Sounds like you found it in time, then . The pulleys seem to deteriorate before the belts do , and are probably often the actual cause of the belts failing ! I know some garages will replace the belts without doing the pulleys for cheapness , and that is worrying .
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:20   #6
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Best of luck, Ross - Chris obviously knows the subject well

Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote