Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2011, 14:57   #1
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default RAC Warranty again

In mid November I bought a 2005 Con. SE Tourer diesel, 38000 miles, lovely condition for what I thought was a high but fair price of £5600. I really wanted a low mileage Rover Diesel estate and this was the best I could find at the time. The dealer did allow me £1200 on my tatty y reg Mondeo estate, a very decent offer.

When pressed for a warranty the dealer offered a 30 day RAC warranty. He said it was full parts and labour plus roadside recovery.

After two weeks the battery was flat and not taking a charge, I phoned my RAC warranty and was told btteries were not covered. I contacted my dealer who said there was nothing they could do.

I have now discovered that my electric seat controls on the drivers seat aren't working which means my wife can't drive the car and I can't have a drink when we go out.

Again I phoned the RAC and was told by a most beligerent and unpleasant sounding man that the only thing that could be covered was if the problem was a switch. I don't think it can be a switch as there are two of them and neither work.

I really think this is very sharp practice on behalf of the RAC. The cover I have is termed 'Gold', I should hate to see the 'bronze' version.

Finally I see that many engine and gearbox parts are covered, but the maximum claim is £300. Not many repairs here then.

Any advice on how to fix the seat greatly appreciated.

Kev.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 15:09   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Car faults remain the responsibility of the vendor under the Sale Of Goods Act...so YES there IS something he can do...fix it!
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 17:12   #3
man of kent
Loves to post

75 tourer auto diesel

Insurance companies only pay for faults that do not occur! As Zeb says, its the dealer who sells the car you have to deal with. Get a written warranty from them and if they say no, walk away as they think there will be a problem. They just push it off to the insurance company.
man of kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 06:45   #4
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

On the drivers seat problem I have had similar issues with the seat just locking up.

This is I believe a failrly well known problem with the seat ECU. It is however easily fixed by removing power to the seat for a few seconds. This can be done either by disconnecting the battery, or removing the fuse. It is then fine again sometimes for a day, sometimes a week or often longer.

If this does not fix it then definitely talk to the dealer you bought it from.

Mike
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 07:50   #5
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

I see the RAC warranty was for 30 days from November so it will have expired so maybe you should consider the AA version which I have for both my cars. There has been a few threads on here about it and its benefits. See here http://www.theaa.com/breakdownrepaircover/

The reason I suggest the AA is a few days ago my ZT wouldnt start. I knew the battery was on its way out as it appeared to be the original battery from the factory (2004) and sure enough it packed in before I got the chance to change it. Called the AA and the NICE chap replaced the battery with a higher spec one under warranty. Battery cost £99 but I paid the excess only, so £25 for a new battery fitted. Job done. Well done AA.

Last edited by Yella Fella; 7th January 2011 at 07:57..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 11:51   #6
baughurst
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T, MGB, OH's MG ZT-T

I deal with customer warranty claims quite regularly and they are all a PITA, bar two. The AA and the RAC. In my experience, your brush with the RAC is unusual and worth a letter to their headquarters complaining about the treatment you have been given.

My OH bough an RAC warranty for her F, 50 quid special offer when she was renewing her roadside breakdown cover. Four weeks later the HG went on the F and they paid up their 500 notes without a murmur.

As for your car, take it back and tell them to fix it before you go to trading standards.