Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2010, 16:21   #1
richardjohnson1984

Rover 75 saloon

Default Not starting

Hi, I have just got a 2.0 tdi. Glad to be apart of the club. The issue is that when I go to start the engine, It just turns over. Now if I have the key in the position where the lights are up on the dash and wait for a while (up to 45min some times) the noise of the front pump activates, then it will start. If I leave the car for longer then 20min after running it, I have to go through the same process of waiting. I've been told t maybe an issue with the relays? Any ideas? Also I have now loss of power when I go to accelerate. I've looked at all the air intake pipes and they seem to be in order. Again any ideas?

Thanks

Richard
richardjohnson1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 00:24   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Could be a lot of issues here.... More info required on the state of the engine etc...

The car will be either a CDT or CDTi - (Not a TDI ) Either of which will not be really different as far as problems go, except that most CDT's are generally 115bhp and the CDTi would be the "facelift" MkII at a 135 bhp.

Check your plenums for water. A good indication of a past problem would be the pollen filter, look to see if there is a water mark on it. If it has had water in it that reached the ECU then it could point at the cause.

Check the intercooler pipe, loss of power could be because the o-rings have gone. These WILL need replacing sooner or later in any case.

Check the PCV filter, EGR and MAF sensor.

Then there are cam & crank sensors (and others) and connections......

Have a browse of the forum threads. There is a lot of information on this forum.

Word of advice..... when it comes to problems, it may be best to start a thread on each one, members will respond better to a single problem thread than one which has a multitude of questions and little information.

When the car starts does it smoke a lot? If so, what colour?

Any oil in the engine compartment?

Are the fuel pumps working?

Are all connections clean?

Any warning indicators on the dash?

As you can see the list of questions goes on....

Use the "Search" function to look for similar threads, then, with the knowledge gained therein, restructure your question(s), then the techies can come in with better info and advice

The more information we have, however small, the better the chance of us being able to help

Also, if you put in your avatar info regarding your approx location, type of car, there maybe a member near you that can pop round to help you

BTW - Welcome to this club. The info contained herein could save you £££££££ for a small subscription fee, click the button at the top of the page... best money you will ever spend

Have a look at this

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 10th March 2010 at 00:49..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote