Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th October 2009, 11:09   #1
higgy

Rover 75 cdi

Default Diesel Turbo Intermittent Problem

Hi,
This is my first post on the forum so hello everyone! I have been reading many of the post and found them very helpful so thanks for that.
I had a problem last night with the car. It’s a 2L Diesel Y reg. The turbo seemed to fail; there was no smoke coming out the back or anything like that. All power just seemed to go and it would only rev to 3500 and every time I tired to change up a gear it almost stalled. This left me only able to do about 32 mph in 2nd. The RAC came out to the car and the patrol guy couldn’t find a disconnected hose or anything. He tired to connect the diagnostic program up to it but it wouldn’t really connect properly and was showing no error codes (however neither me or him believed this!). So in the end I was transported home.
This morning I went out to look at the car to check the hoses in the light but still couldn’t see any problems. I checked the hoses to the fuel filter and unplugged and re-plugged in the electrical connection to the fuel filter. I then started the car let it warm up and then ‘reved’ it up to see if it would now reach over 3500 rev. All now seems to be fine the engine would happily go to 4500 revs. I’ve just taken it on a 10 mile drive and all seems fine again.
It’s going in later this afternoon to have the fault codes read but I just wondered if there was a common problem like this? As it related to any of the sensors or fuel pumps etc? I was also quite cold for the first time last night so could that affect anything. I had been driving for about 30 mins before it all happened so the engine was hot.
Thanks Chris
higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:05   #2
gefary
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

How many miles has it done on that clutch?
Worth searching for symptoms of a slipping clutch.
gefary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:30   #3
higgy

Rover 75 cdi

It’s done about 120K. but last night even in neutral with the car parked up I could only rev to 3500. So I don’t think its clutch related.
Old 19th October 2009, 12:50   #4
tonygardner
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer connie

hi , could be the o rings on the innter cooler pipe, pipe is between the passinger side head light and rad , you will need to remove the front bumper , thats not a hard job
tonygardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 12:56   #5
higgy

Rover 75 cdi

Is there anyway of telling before removing all the parts required?
Old 19th October 2009, 14:12   #6
eddybrown
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club CDT & 73' MG Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy View Post
Is there anyway of telling before removing all the parts required?
You get a telltale sign of dirty oil leaking from the intercooler seal. The car usually will make more black smoke more than normal too.

You mentioned your car didn't smoke, that to me suggests a fueling problem, or lack of fuel. My car had an intermittant problem where it wouldn't rev on the motorway, then a few miles down the road it'd clear up. It was down to using bio diesel pulling through dirt in the tank and blocking the fuel filter.
eddybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 15:49   #7
higgy

Rover 75 cdi

Hi, it looks to be one for both of the fuel pumps. The engine was showing an error code for low fuel pressure, we also removed and refitted the air mass sensor to see if that made a difference. The car wouldn’t start after we did that and there was no humming coming from the secondary fuel lift pump. The pump however started after a knock with a screw driver and the car would then start. So it looks like the secondary fuel lift pump is on its way out. I just hope it’s not been caused as a result of a failing in tank pump under the rear passenger seat as replacing both will be expensive. Once the secondary fuel lift pump is working the car drives normally.