Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2009, 08:57   #1
m@tt
Avid contributor

MG ZT 135+

Thumbs down CDTI Sudden Power Loss in Heavy Rain

I was driving to work this morning down the motorway in torrential rain when all of a sudden the car kind of lost power. It kept on going and i could accelerate but there was just no ooommph anymore.

When i came off the motorway it defeinitely didn't feel right it was hesitant and slow and then as i tried to pull away from the sliproad roundabout the car tried to die on me and continued to do so from every standing start. If i just revved the engine in neutral it was fine but as soon as any load was put on the engine the revs would drop right off. I had to hold the revs at about 3k and slowly lift off the clutch to get it going.

I was initally worried that it might be the turbo that's given up the ghost but there were no dodgy noises coming from it, or massive plumes of smoke out of the back when i checked when i finally got to work.

I also have the Synergy2 box fitted to it and i recently had to change the settings from 10 to 6 as it was staring to judder when the revs were dropping back down to idle.

It defintiely feels like a fueling issue so I'm hoping its going to be something simple like the MAF sensor has got wet due to the torrential rain and it's just tempoarily kicking out faulty readings. and so the fueling as all to pot

thoughts?
m@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:03   #2
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@tt View Post
I was driving to work this morning down the motorway in torrential rain when all of a sudden the car kind of lost power. It kept on going and i could accelerate but there was just no ooommph anymore.

When i came off the motorway it defeinitely didn't feel right it was hesitant and slow and then as i tried to pull away from the sliproad roundabout the car tried to die on me and continued to do so from every standing start. If i just revved the engine in neutral it was fine but as soon as any load was put on the engine the revs would drop right off. I had to hold the revs at about 3k and slowly lift off the clutch to get it going.

I was initally worried that it might be the turbo that's given up the ghost but there were no dodgy noises coming from it, or massive plumes of smoke out of the back when i checked when i finally got to work.

I also have the Synergy2 box fitted to it and i recently had to change the settings from 10 to 6 as it was staring to judder when the revs were dropping back down to idle.

It defintiely feels like a fueling issue so I'm hoping its going to be something simple like the MAF sensor has got wet due to the torrential rain and it's just tempoarily kicking out faulty readings. and so the fueling as all to pot

thoughts?
Hi,

I had this a while ago, all power disappeared in town and the ZT just would not go, just crawled along, hiccuping .
ok revving in neutral , but rubbish under load

Found it was a just bad connection on the synergy plug , gave the connection a wiggle and it been ok since. worth a look .

take care

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:38   #3
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Torrential rain? Couldn't be a flooded plenum could it?

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 09:41   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

From my readings, this is a very common issue with diesels and is caused by water getting onto the MAF sensor head/element. I believe this effectively kills it and the sensor must be replaced. Diagnosis is pretty easy. You just disconnect the sensor lead and if things improve, that's the answer. Contact Rover Ron who will tell you what to do.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote