Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2024, 08:55   #41
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
It was fine... She just had to put her big girl trousers on and get her own insurance
Glad to hear it, it is something we all have to go through but insurance is expensive for the younger drivers.

Thank you for putting things in perspective

Whilst on holiday in Barbados, fraud was everywhere. A local police chief invited to his bar and whilst there, he asked would I like to stay an extra 3 weeks as he could arrange it with a local doctor.

I was horrified, once you go down that road, you can be subjected to blackmail and a criminal record. I declined and left his bar. In the hotel I met a British couple and we got chatting. He was a British Bobby and his wife was an insurance broker. They boasted how she had lost a gold ankle bracelet in the surf and would be claiming £500 for it and it would not be queried because the claim was under £1000. I was shocked! I was under the impression the bracelet never existed and they got some kind of buzz from telling me.
Old 1st July 2024, 08:59   #42
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Phil - a message is only private if both parties agree to communicate on a private basis. I would say that as a general rule never say or write to someone anything that you would not wish to be made public, unless the other party has agreed to keep matters private.
Because you revealed the contents of a private message, who is going to trust you with the confidentiality of a private message.

Various members and moderators have confided with me about different things in private messages which will always remain confidential.

That is how it is and it is my last word on the subject.
Old 1st July 2024, 09:39   #43
MSS
Banned

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Because you revealed the contents of a private message, who is going to trust you with the confidentiality of a private message.

Various members and moderators have confided with me about different things in private messages which will always remain confidential.

That is how it is and it is my last word on the subject.

And my last word also.

I consider that there is a difference between private information and a private means of communication. The former I would respect, the latter would depend on the content of the message and whether it deserved to to be kept private i.e. it contained private information or views. Otherwise one party would unilaterally determine when to use the PM mechanism thus effectively gagging the other party.

As it is, there was/is nothing personal in the exchanges on this thread - just differences of position based on knowledge and experience. As the subject matter could potentially affect every forum member, the matter is of forum community interest. The content of the PM does not deserve the status of "private communication". If the sender wanted to continue the the exchange on the thread, it should have been done within the thread.

As to not being trusted with the confidentiality of a "Private Message", I am perfectly happy with this given the above.
Old 3rd July 2024, 05:32   #44
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Rule 6.1 explains all about trolling and Rule 8 explains about private messages.

Can you and Maninder please have a read.

Wraymond doesn’t deserve to be ganged up against on the boards on this forum. If you need further clarification, I can ask Reebs to review this thread.

Last edited by Reebs; 4th July 2024 at 08:44.. Reason: Quoted post removed
Old 3rd July 2024, 08:37   #45
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Rule 6.1 explains all about trolling and Rule 8 explains about private messages.
Thanks for posting this Phil, I've learnt something today!

I've always believed that the forum rules were stated on the club home page here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...age=forumrules, but was puzzled by your reference as these rules seem to be a different set. A quick search around the forum reveals a much more detailed set of rules under the "FAQ" heading here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/faq.php which I was previously unaware of. I wonder if there are other members who mistakenly think they know the rues, but have not read the more detailed set?

Every day is a school day as they say .

No. 4 of 6
Old 3rd July 2024, 10:11   #46
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Maninder, I have had no contact with WRaymond about him being counselled in private. Where did you get that idea from?

Rules 6.1 and 8 are there for all of the members to follow including myself. The members who feel those rules do not apply to them in my humble opinion are best dealt with by a moderator or by one of the directors.

I remember when a couple of members ganged up against a moderator in a thread, the members were banned. I don’t like to see anyone banned as we are a small club and everyone matters A difference of opinion is important as is taking a light hearted stance on things, but outing private message’s or humiliating another member in public on the net is something I am against.

I am not here to get personal.
Old 3rd July 2024, 10:21   #47
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Thanks for posting this Phil, I've learnt something today!

I've always believed that the forum rules were stated on the club home page here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/ind...age=forumrules, but was puzzled by your reference as these rules seem to be a different set. A quick search around the forum reveals a much more detailed set of rules under the "FAQ" heading here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/faq.php which I was previously unaware of. I wonder if there are other members who mistakenly think they know the rues, but have not read the more detailed set?

Every day is a school day as they say .
Thank you Cliff for those thoughts and wise words, how kind of you to reach out.

It does feel like school doesn’t it. In fact at school I was a school prefect standing up for the weaker pupils against bullies!
Old 3rd July 2024, 11:22   #48
MSS
Banned

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Maninder, I have had no contact with WRaymond about him being counselled in private. Where did you get that idea from?
Phil, I wasn't suggesting that you had but that perhaps you should.

Quote:
Reebs told me years ago to try and insert a smiley so that everyone knows something is light hearted and well meant I would not like anyone to go on gardening leave or worse.
Yet I was once given gardening leave by Reebs saying that although I had added a smiley my intention was to insult the other member. Life is full of mysteries, isn't it!

My take on what you say overall is that unacceptable behaviour is fine as long as we keep it in private messages but keep up appearances on the forum.

Perhaps we have exhausted this topic and it is time to move on.

Last edited by MSS; 3rd July 2024 at 11:25..
Old 3rd July 2024, 12:18   #49
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

There is of course an option to opt out of the PM system and even limit people who can PM you under "edit options" in your control panel

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 3rd July 2024, 13:27   #50
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Endof.

I regret any misunderstanding of my earlier open forum posts if anything I have posted caused concern.

The motive for the original PM in question was in the interests of Forum harmony not being disturbed by any possible recurring of personal conflict and certainly not moderation in the wider sense!

In my view the term ‘Private Message’ is fully described in the rules by which we all should abide, certainly not ad hoc/whatever-the-weather motive there might be. I believe there are, after all, certain and adequate rules.

Those rules have always, as far as I am concerned at least, been observed. It all comes down to, again at least in my view, merely a matter of discretion and honour.
For me, the matter and further involvement here, is at an end. Best wishes.