Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2024, 16:05   #61
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That's a good point which adds the Highways Agency to the list of people on trial.
There are two roundabouts near me where fencing has been erected in the central reservation on the approach to the give way lines deliberately to prevent drivers from assessing traffic on the roundabout without coming to a stop. What do members think of that?

Simon
there is one like that near me too and there is one close'ish to where we used to live. I don't like it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2024, 16:19   #62
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

If the lorry WAS only 6 inches off your bumper, then I would suggest that if you are on the M/Way, stop at the first phone box and phone , with reg number, to report it to whoever answers the phone. I have done this. I have also stopped and phoned to say someone was climbing under the motorway bridge at Walsall. I evidently was not the only one. Police were already on their way to it.
Old 18th June 2024, 16:42   #63
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
I was unable to speed up as traffic was bunching in all 3 lanes due to 3 lorries all overtaking at the same time (tut tut, lorry in lane 3) effectively creating a 56mph rolling road block so I was stuck in lane 1 with him behind me, 6 inches off my rear end flashing his lights and leaning on the horn till I managed to swoop off at the next junction to get away from him.

Honestly, it was like some deranged loony behind me, think film Duel !!!!!

3 lorries behind you and in front of you blocking your way?

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2024, 17:32   #64
Dave47

none at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
I know.

With hindsight i regret that now,

I gave him the finger as I pulled off at the next junction,just to get him off my rear end, and to express what I thought of his dangerous driving to intimate and get revenge, i then immediately rejoined so as to be behind him.

I made a snap decision , albeit the wrong one with hindsight what came after it seems is that the red mist decended on the lorry driver which made a bad decision into a dangerous situation.
Any driver regardless of years driving will make mistakes,
the essential thing is when you realise it's your mistake, is to assess,
Why you made it. how could you have acted to make the roads safer,
You appear to have done this and can now move on,
over 58 year driving and I'm still learning.
Dave47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2024, 05:35   #65
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Well, it seems that the OP's question has been adequately answered. Perhaps its time to move on from the OP and discuss another question.

The question I would pose is what penalty or penalties should apply for reckless or dangerous driving on the roads?
That’s a great question Maninder, but shouldn’t it be the OP who is in control of the thread to open it up about reckless/dangerous driving?

Or

Ultimately he can ask for the thread to be closed if he feels it has been answered.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2024, 07:00   #66
Borg Warner

None

Well done OP for opening this thread. You must have felt sick to the stomach at the time, probably don't feel much better now to be fair? It's not what happens, so much what could have happened.

It's interesting to read the comments, and the apportion of blame. We all make mistakes and get it wrong, we're not all perfect drivers though, despite what we may think. It's always the other guy's fault. I wonder how many on here are criticizing you and yet have done similar? How many have pushed in, cut someone up, tailgated, pulled out in front of and of course not indicated correctly at a traffic island?

I have some empathy with you here, I get it wrong occasionally but then we all do. Those in glasshouses shouldn't really throw stones.

You were in a difficult position, driver of the lorry didn't help, probably couldn't but it seems he made it worse. He didn't have to. We all have a duty of care towards our fellow road users and one shouldn't compound the mistakes of others by their additional actions, irrespective of the circumstances. Sadly there appears to be an increasing lack of respect and patience on or crowded roads today. When that happens we all lose.

Take care OP and take some comfort no one got hurt or worse. Only one's pride took a hit and rest assured you ain't alone on that one.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2024, 07:25   #67
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Every day is a school day - this is so true - and I am well past "retirement" age but still puts the occasional shift in.

In all journeys we make thousands of conscious and non-conscious decisions - we can't get them all right all of the time.
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2024, 07:34   #68
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Well done OP for opening this thread. You must have felt sick to the stomach at the time, probably don't feel much better now to be fair? It's not what happens, so much what could have happened.

It's interesting to read the comments, and the apportion of blame. We all make mistakes and get it wrong, we're not all perfect drivers though, despite what we may think. It's always the other guy's fault. I wonder how many on here are criticizing you and yet have done similar? How many have pushed in, cut someone up, tailgated, pulled out in front of and of course not indicated correctly at a traffic island?

I have some empathy with you here, I get it wrong occasionally but then we all do. Those in glasshouses shouldn't really throw stones.

You were in a difficult position, driver of the lorry didn't help, probably couldn't but it seems he made it worse. He didn't have to. We all have a duty of care towards our fellow road users and one shouldn't compound the mistakes of others by their additional actions, irrespective of the circumstances. Sadly there appears to be an increasing lack of respect and patience on or crowded roads today. When that happens we all lose.

Take care OP and take some comfort no one got hurt or worse. Only one's pride took a hit and rest assured you ain't alone on that one.

Does it matter if others have done the same or similar, does that change anything they have said? Perhaps they have already learnt and are now in a position to advise others.
The OP asked if they were in the wrong, why do you think because those that have done similar or the same, they should not answer? Doing similar or the same does not lessen the importance of their comment.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2024, 08:33   #69
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
That’s a great question Maninder, but shouldn’t it be the OP who is in control of the thread to open it up about reckless/dangerous driving?

Or

Ultimately he can ask for the thread to be closed if he feels it has been answered.
Good morning Phil, you are of course right in that the OP can decide if he wishes to change the direction of the thread or to have it closed.

Equally, IMO there is no reason that others should not make suggestions.

As it is I feel that the OP, despite asking if he was in the wrong, is not terribly receptive to the idea. He focuses on the HGV driver's conduct rather than his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Does it matter if others have done the same or similar, does that change anything they have said? Perhaps they have already learnt and are now in a position to advise others.
The OP asked if they were in the wrong, why do you think because those that have done similar or the same, they should not answer? Doing similar or the same does not lessen the importance of their comment.

macafee2
Quite right, Ian.
Old 19th June 2024, 08:58   #70
Borg Warner

None

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

macafee2

It doesn't matter, people ple can reply however they wish.

I just happen to have a different opinion on the subject. Perhaps I'm a little more forgiving but to me some of the replies support what is wrong with driving today.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote