Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2024, 16:06   #31
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
The difference between "Must" and "Should" makes a huge difference in regulatory affairs, but not in terms of good advice which is much of the highway code.
The highway code states:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’."

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)

Last edited by Matt_75; 17th June 2024 at 16:09..
Matt_75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 16:19   #32
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_75 View Post
The highway code states:

"Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’."

I am not sure what point you are making, but it is that last bit which is important, the "good practice advice" in the highway code is used as evidence of wrongdoing in courts. The only practical difference between a "must" and "should" statement following a collision in the scenario described by the OP would be the length of discussion it takes before deciding he was in the wrong.

In any case, being legally in the wrong on the basis of a "should" as opposed to a "must" would be of little comfort when lying in an ICU or in a wooden box following a collision with another vehicle.

The key aspects to focus on are defensive driving and consideration for other road users.

Amateur legal experts often lose sight of the basics, which are not to die or do anything which leads others to die unnecessarily!

Last edited by MSS; 17th June 2024 at 16:30..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 16:41   #33
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I am not sure what point you are making
Just trying to add some clarification to the thread as the highway code's use of "must" and "should" was being discussed. I thought its relevance was pretty obvious

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 16:49   #34
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Drivers who think that you should move to let them in is a 'bone of contention' with me. Many times I have been courteous and pulled over only to find myself left in the fast lane as the driver had sped off!
As has been said, in this case if the OP had checked the lane position as soon as possible on entering the slip road and stopped if necessary then following cars would have had to do likewise to then filter in turn.

They have the right idea in Portugal (not sure about Spain) but all slip roads onto major roads have 'give way' road marking so leaves no doubt.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 17:45   #35
Costa Fortuna
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

As an HGV driver and indeed instructor merging traffic should never under any circumstances deem the next lane next to a vehicle in lane one is empty. Many a time I have had a small car next to me and I simply cannot move over - sorry but you must learn how to merge - it's arrogance to expect people to shift out of your way for you. Giving an obscene gesture to another driver who doesn't comply to your rules is a poor show frankly. The driver in lane one always without exception knows more than you do at the merge point.

I know what I have written probably doesn't sit well with you, OP but it IS for your safety - if you have to come to a halt on the slip so be it. As heavy goods drivers we are all aware of the damage the vehicles we drive can do to a lightweight assembly of steel pressings and the occupants therein.

Oh, and a final thought for you - for insurance reasons an awful lot of trucks have on board cameras (some facing front and rear) so be careful - you may end up with your gesticulations (and car) on the 'net
Costa Fortuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 17:53   #36
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Nobody is disputing that the OP was in the wrong however,a response like that from a professional driver,who must experience this situation almost daily, is totally unacceptable.
Not only is it very dangerous it is setting an appalling example from someone professionally trained in driving.The lorry driver should have let it go and pulled back otherwise he is going to have a very unhappy and possibly short career.
Spot on mate - a pro driver acting like a t**t

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 18:06   #37
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna View Post
As an HGV driver and indeed instructor merging traffic should never under any circumstances deem the next lane next to a vehicle in lane one is empty. Many a time I have had a small car next to me and I simply cannot move over - sorry but you must learn how to merge - it's arrogance to expect people to shift out of your way for you. Giving an obscene gesture to another driver who doesn't comply to your rules is a poor show frankly. The driver in lane one always without exception knows more than you do at the merge point.

I know what I have written probably doesn't sit well with you, OP but it IS for your safety - if you have to come to a halt on the slip so be it. As heavy goods drivers we are all aware of the damage the vehicles we drive can do to a lightweight assembly of steel pressings and the occupants therein.

Oh, and a final thought for you - for insurance reasons an awful lot of trucks have on board cameras (some facing front and rear) so be careful - you may end up with your gesticulations (and car) on the 'net
I accept all your points and they are very well made but as an instructor would you care to comment on the response of the lorry driver in this case.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 18:39   #38
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I too am a hgv class one driver, as well as being a qualified hgv driving assessor, come out with me for the day and witness first hand the appalling driving standards of at least 50% motorists and some lorry drivers.

I guarantee within the hour you too will have used many hand signs as well as used every swear word known to man.

Driving standards in this country are at best abysmal and when someone who is driving does something wrong who better to blame but the driver going about his own business correctly.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 19:45   #39
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Well, it seems that the OP's question has been adequately answered. Perhaps its time to move on from the OP and discuss another question.

The question I would pose is what penalty or penalties should apply for reckless or dangerous driving on the roads?
Old 17th June 2024, 19:52   #40
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Drivers who think that you should move to let them in is a 'bone of contention' with me. Many times I have been courteous and pulled over only to find myself left in the fast lane as the driver had sped off.
Or match your speed which isn't a problem if you're in a car but if you match the speed of a lorry on the limiter this means the lorry can't get back into the inside lane without slowing down. Fortunately however, most people find being on the inside of a forty footer at full chat an uncomfortable place to be & back off if they can't get past.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote