Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2024, 12:26   #21
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Agreed but,will the lorry driver also learn to moderate his reaction? Because I can guarantee that it won't be long before it happens again to someone spending their days on the roads full time.There is no doubt who was at fault but it certainly won't be a one off for that lorry driver and he needs to consider that for his own sanity.
If the lorry driver asks for input on this situation here, or anywhere else on the internet, I'm certain he would be advised accordingly.

Until that time though, from the point of view of the OP, (and therefore us forumites), the lorry driver and his attitude is best thought of as an obstacle, a factor to be taken into account, rather than a target for blame. We don't know him. He isn't here. There will be thousands more like him and for all practical purposes he doesn't exist. The key to driver improvement, even when you are virtually blameless is the question "what could I have done differently that would have avoided this near miss?". Forget what they could have done differently. How can I be better?

Last edited by TBennet; 17th June 2024 at 12:28..
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 12:27   #22
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Agreed but,will the lorry driver also learn to moderate his reaction? Because I can guarantee that it won't be long before it happens again to someone spending their days on the roads full time.There is no doubt who was at fault but it certainly won't be a one off for that lorry driver and he needs to consider that for his own sanity.

You don't have to spend full time on the roads for it to happen frequently to you. There is a notorious slip road coming from a shopping estate on the way to my fathers which i go to once a week and i would guess 30 - 40% of the times i am on the main carriageway a car just carries on pulling out into my lane even when there are cars in lane 2 giving me no where to go other than to brake sharply to avoid an accident and leaving me at risk of a vehicle behind me not reacting in time. It seems to be becoming a more common thing for entitled drivers to assume that cars on the carriageway should give way to them rather than they moderate their speed to filter into a gap. As i said this is a pet peeve for me for just this reason. I like to think i am a considerate driver and if there is clear space for me to move to lane 2 to allow a merging driver to join the carriageway i will do so without a 2nd thought however it is the responsibility of the merging vehicle to join in a manner that does not cause any vehicles on the main carriageway to have to manouvre to avoid them in any way!

I can understand any driver professional or not to get annoyed and in this case possibly more so as the OP presumably slowed once he had forced his way out. Any vitriol should really be aimed at the OP.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 17th June 2024 at 13:12.. Reason: spelling mistake
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 12:57   #23
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

Quote:
we all need to be mindful of others but we also need to follow the correct rules AND NOT PUSH INTO THE MAIN ROAD.. as traffic on may not be ableb to get out the way due to other traffic being in the way .while losing your coll isnt a good idea you can undestand it when countless other drvers try to force ,bully into the road focing the traffic on the road to have to get out the way or risk being ramed from behind due to heavy bracking etc,, i have seen this too many time and have no found view of such fock who keep doing it . they are never at fault are they6 in there minds but they cause much ....... problems on the road . i have seen it to ,many times and had drivers do many things they shouldn't.. to many blame lorries out of hand when its not there fault its the foolish drivers who think themselves better than everyone else.

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 13:18   #24
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbug2 View Post
we all need to be mindful of others but we also need to follow the correct rules AND NOT PUSH INTO THE MAIN ROAD.. as traffic on may not be ableb to get out the way due to other traffic being in the way .while losing your coll isnt a good idea you can undestand it when countless other drvers try to force ,bully into the road focing the traffic on the road to have to get out the way or risk being ramed from behind due to heavy bracking etc,, i have seen this too many time and have no found view of such fock who keep doing it . they are never at fault are they6 in there minds but they cause much ....... problems on the road . i have seen it to ,many times and had drivers do many things they shouldn't.. to many blame lorries out of hand when its not there fault its the foolish drivers who think themselves better than everyone else.
I've never disputed where the fault lay but just feel that as the professionals on the road lorry drivers need to make allowances for entitled idiots and set a better example.Oh and not every lorry driver has perfect driving etiquette either

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 17th June 2024 at 13:20..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 13:45   #25
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just to muddy the waters a little on this, the highway code states
"You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway" note the word should and not must. As a previous regulatory inspector I can tell you this makes a massive difference.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/join...-motorway.html

Other areas of the highway code such as speed limits do in fact say "You Must"

I must admit as soon as I join a slipway I am looking straight away as to where I can join as opposed to leaving it to the last min, even then options are always changing

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 13:47   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

None

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Me vs HGV (Was I 8n the wrong)?

Quote:
I've never disputed where the fault lay but just feel that as the professionals on the road lorry drivers need to make allowances for entitled idiots and set a better example.Oh and not every lorry driver has perfect driving etiquette either

Have you ever driven in Kenya. It can be challenging and I have learned to always give way to coaches, mini-buses and Arctics, often they are bigger and sometimes have trouble stopping because they are on a tight schedule or they have no brakes or poor braking.

I might well curse under my breath when faced with an Arctic coming at me head on. Some drivers think nothing of forcing you off the road. I wouldn’t give them fingers in case they were tooled up and wanted revenge, it’s never worth it.

Above, our main highway from the coast to Uganda with thousands of trucks travelling along the road night and day. I have had 2 trucks come at me head on forcing me off the road and into the bush. Sometimes bad driving becomes expected and to survive, I have learned to drive in an assertive way, not aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 14:26   #27
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

As a lorry driver it often happens that people join a fast moving road far too slowly & without any form of consideration to the situation they are entering & before you know it they stick their cruise control on 52mph & that's them set while you're forced to overtake them to continue your progress.
When l see someone pootling down the slip road at 40 l'm most reluctant to make a leeway for them.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 17th June 2024 at 14:47..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 14:48   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Just to muddy the waters a little on this, the highway code states
"You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway" note the word should and not must. As a previous regulatory inspector I can tell you this makes a massive difference.

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/join...-motorway.html

Other areas of the highway code such as speed limits do in fact say "You Must"

I must admit as soon as I join a slipway I am looking straight away as to where I can join as opposed to leaving it to the last min, even then options are always changing

The difference between "Must" and "Should" makes a huge difference in regulatory affairs, but not in terms of good advice which is much of the highway code.

The highway cannot really say to a driver that he must not kill himself by driving into an articulated lorry, but it can advise a driver that he/she should not as the consequences are likely to be terminal.

Also, if we wish to be pedantic, nowhere does the highway code say that a driver joining a motorway "May" or "Could" assume priority over traffic on the main carriageway.
Old 17th June 2024, 14:54   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
...........It seems to be becoming a more common thing for entitled drivers to assume that cars on the carriageway should give way to them rather than they moderate their speed to filter into a gap. As i said this is a pet peeve for me for just this reason............

Likewise, I consider it awfully rude and entitled of drivers to push themselves into the safe distance that I have left in front of my car and then put their brakes on because there isn't enough space in front of them. The result is that I then have to break as does the traffic behind me. A case of absolute entitlement and bad manners.
Old 17th June 2024, 15:48   #30
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

It's also worth mentioning the pressure felt from other vehicles (including lorries) behind you on the slip road approaching at a rate of Knot's applying 'encouragement ' to join the carriageway or not.A decision that needs to be made often in a couple of hundred yards.yes I know you shouldn't be intimidated but it all adds to the tension of the situation.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 17th June 2024 at 15:54..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote