Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2024, 22:22   #1
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

Default Locking wheel nut

Went to use my locking wheel nut for the first time since buying car and I’ve found that the key is knackered. Is this a standard rover key/nut??? Is it possible to get replacements?

daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2024, 23:19   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I think that is the McGard type XPT000175ACA. Earlier cars had the slotted type either number 11 or 12 and I believe most were 12. Loads of threads on the site about this, some have obtained a replacement key from Mcgard and some have dispensed with the type after managing removal.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 08:03   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Think I have a new set in the shed of many bits. You can borrow the key if you want, and as Steve says, throw the damn things in the bin and replace with ordinary 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 08:31   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you want to keep using them then always swap them over to wheels not being touched by tyre fitters when replacing tyres and then torque them up to 125Nm when replacing them and they will outlast the car.

And if you are changing all four tyres then just fit ordinary bolts - it's rattle guns and heavy handiness that destroys them.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 08:34   #5
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Had similar probs some time ago.
1 way to remove is to hammer on a socket that its a very tight fit over the outside diameter. Had to do it as was doing the clutch. The back wheel nuts I couldnt shift as I damaged the key on the front but the local tyre and exhaust place (Fram Tyres, part of Hadleigh Tyres) managed to get them out and replaced them with ordinary ones.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 19:18   #6
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Think I have a new set in the shed of many bits. You can borrow the key if you want, and as Steve says, throw the damn things in the bin and replace with ordinary 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Yes if I could borrow the key that would be fantastic.very much obliged.

As it happens,the very reason I was at my wheels was because I wanted to slacken the bolts off and replace the locking nuts. Twice in the past I’ve had locking nuts shear off. They are a complete liability!

I suspect the nuts on my car have not been off for several years as they are absolutely welded on. Either that or some idiots in garage overtightened.

Nowts easy is it!.
daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2024, 22:50   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Wheels rarely if ever get stolen these days, with the amount of hassle that happens if you either loose the key or its damages they are best avoided.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2024, 15:48   #8
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Stolen wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Wheels rarely if ever get stolen these days, with the amount of hassle that happens if you either loose the key or its damages they are best avoided.

Well admittedly some years ago I was driving an Alpine and stopped in broad daylight at a car park in Chichester. Came back, started her up let in the clutch and the rear wheels spun. Tried again- same thing happened. Got out to find some joker had removed the rear wheels but left the car propped up on old oil cans so the height was the same. Anyone watching my performance would have had a seizure. I went to the police station who took me to a breaker's yard where I bought one wheel. I was some wheel nuts missing so I fitted it plus the spare and took one wheel nut off the front wheels. Amazingly the copper let me drive home with a caution to drive slowly.