Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2024, 18:08   #71
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

As far as i know, the manufacture date codes are privy only unto them.They use their own internal system to identify ... whatever that may be. I bought my gates belt online and asked this very question. I was told that stock turnover was quick and assured that the date would be well within spec. I accepted this mainly because it was a gates belt through a trusted gates supplier. I have today come across a supplier of a KV6 belt kit with dayco belts and the manufacture date is quite clearly 2021. I had a photo sent to me to confirm. I am waiting now for the confirmation of just the main belt date solo confirmation, which i will i hope know tomorrow if all is ok. So a new batch is out there from dayco 2021. I think reebs will be fine with his new gates belt and that would be my preference again. ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2024, 19:09   #72
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
I think reebs will be fine with his new gates belt and that would be my preference again. ...
I'm confused. As Reebs has said, no-one knows what the numbers mean on a Gates belt. There's no information on its website and there's no telephone number, only a webform.

We do need to wait for Gates' reply. This thread is quite clear that the date of manufacture is considered crucial to avoid the risk of engine destruction. Surely Stefan you can't say that Reebs "will be fine" with a Gates belt when it could be even older than the 2012 Dayco belts which provoked this thread.

There are signs of brand loyalty eclipsing rational discussion here.

Simon
Old 21st May 2024, 19:32   #73
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Well at the moment not much option is there ? Rimmers selling 2008 mat selling 2012 ... whats the difference. Unless reebs wants to wait until all sorted .. His call really....
Old 21st May 2024, 19:40   #74
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
As far as i know, the manufacture date codes are privy only unto them.They use their own internal system to identify ... whatever that may be. I bought my gates belt online and asked this very question. I was told that stock turnover was quick and assured that the date would be well within spec. I accepted this mainly because it was a gates belt through a trusted gates supplier. I have today come across a supplier of a KV6 belt kit with dayco belts and the manufacture date is quite clearly 2021. I had a photo sent to me to confirm. I am waiting now for the confirmation of just the main belt date solo confirmation, which i will i hope know tomorrow if all is ok. So a new batch is out there from dayco 2021. I think reebs will be fine with his new gates belt and that would be my preference again. ...
I'm guessing that the main, or single primary belt is the one causing grief (mine is 12). I've just opened one of the boxes received last week containing a rear belt, (trying to ignore the "All Makes 4 x 4, 2 year warranty" sticker) to find the numbers 23 046178

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2024, 19:50   #75
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Well at least your 2/3rds the way there. I hope that mat can get the Gates belts with printed dates on the belts .. OK they will cost more as gates belts ,but i am prepared to pay the extra for peace of mind,and im sure many others will agree.
Old 21st May 2024, 23:40   #76
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

OK. So nearly all KV6 engines will have old past their date front (at least ) old timing belts fitted ... unless buying other makes of belt ,with dates on them ? Most members on here will have belts which were at least 12 yrs old when fitted ,and others 16 yrs old.You then have to add on the years after fitting .The answer is we dont know how old the belts were when fitted ? So where does that leave members . Do we need to change again or take the risk of failure , so as to speak. As well the question could be asked if this problem has effected the 1.8 models . I would not have a clue as i have never owned one,or ever bought or fitted a belt for one. Food for thought is it not .......
Old 22nd May 2024, 06:37   #77
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Why will only unfitted belts be exchanged for replacement? I think that quite a few people on here who have fitted 12 year old belts will want them changed rather than risking disaster if it breaks, if DMGRS are going to warranty the belts for the 6 years or 90000 miles then this should be put in writing and given to the purchaser on request

Last edited by dave lincs; 22nd May 2024 at 07:52..
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 06:44   #78
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
OK. As well the question could be asked if this problem has effected the 1.8 models . I would not have a clue as i have never owned one,or ever bought or fitted a belt for one. Food for thought is it not .......
As previously mentioned, I bought a timing belt kit for our K-series engined 25 from DMGRS last year. The belt is dated 2022.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:23   #79
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I have found a supplier for the DAYCO 94719 front timing belts ( KV6) They are dated 2021 printed on the belt. I have had photos sent to me by email . For those people who need a belt urgently , until mat is sorted out , here is the EBAY seller ; user name ; panaf (RJS LANDROVER SPARES ) ITEM NUMBER : 20349779435 He has 60 in stock all dated with the same batch date code. I have posted this to try and help in someway members who may be concerned about the situation, including other parties looking for a supplier. No other supplier i tried to contact about belt dates opted to reply, which was very dissapointing , and probably reflects the dates on the belts if stamped at all. Hope this helps in some way.
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:16   #80
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I have found a supplier for the DAYCO 94719 front timing belts ( KV6) They are dated 2021 printed on the belt. I have had photos sent to me by email . For those people who need a belt urgently , until mat is sorted out , here is the EBAY seller ; user name ; panaf (RJS LANDROVER SPARES ) ITEM NUMBER : 20349779435 He has 60 in stock all dated with the same batch date code. I have posted this to try and help in someway members who may be concerned about the situation, including other parties looking for a supplier. No other supplier i tried to contact about belt dates opted to reply, which was very dissapointing , and probably reflects the dates on the belts if stamped at all. Hope this helps in some way.

In the absence of the thanks button, "thanks". Most interesting but postage to me is £26.04 and then I'll be expected to pay import duties on top of that.

I'll have a word with DMGRS and see if they can buy them and replace the two 2012 belts I have here.

Keep well
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote