Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2023, 20:12   #1
TheBaran

Rover 75

Default Story of my car #2

Hello dear friends!

You might remember my post about my 75 that I've made in 2019, a little backround story of my car. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=300310)

I've wanted to do a updated version of it, since a lot happend since that time.

First of all, i got my licence after that post! this may sound a bit out of normal, but in Türkiye it's common to let your kid drive your car when they are young, provided that you're in an empty area under your supervision. Well, I was 11 when i first drove this helluva car, I still remember my mom asking how was i able to see the front of the car, i wasn't able to! Ever since i got my licence i drove the Rover every day, racking up the kilometres as i go. couple of years went by without any major problems, i had gotten my own car (a 98 accord) and my dad was daily commuting the rover. In 2020 i have sold the accord and got myself an mgf vvc! a very nice little car, I'm sad to sell it but it wasn't ideal for a daily commuter, and wasn't reliable enough as a daily. around 2021, we started to have some missfire problems on the kv6, keep in mind that it was the original engine with 260k kms. I tried to go step by step and changed the spark plug cables and the coilsthemselves, but to no avail. In the end i left the car to our mechanic and he fixed it, saying there was a electrical problem and the car was in ok shape that day. The very next day that i got the car from the garage, the engine exploded, litreally. the timing belt pulley became stuck and the belt snapped, making the engine toast. ever since that day, the car was in a desperate situation, going from garage to garage to finding the right mechanic to fix it. We finally found a garage in Ankara, the capital and we have sent the car to them. It took them around 3 months to fix it, and it has costed us an arm and a leg. We went to get the car with the mg, i was going to drop off the mg due to it having transmition problems. Not even 40 kliks after we got the car, it started to knock, rod-knock. it was the new years eve, we were stranded in the highway with my dad, waiting for a tow truck that the garage sent (with the mg on top so we can go on our way). After a while, they told us that the internals of the engine is not saveble and they offered us to bore it to 2.5, which we gladly approved. another 3 months passed by and it was march 22, they told us the car was ready and i hopped onto train with couple of friends to retrieve the car and drive it back home 450 kliks. Well, you can imagine how it went. the motor gave up 400 kms in, overheating like crazy. i quickly pulled over when i saw the light, and i saw that the upper radiator hose was disconected. I connected it again, filled it up with water and bleed the system and went on driving another 5 km's before the same thing happend. this happend for 4 times before i finally arrived home. the next day i fixed the hose, but then i managed to expand the radiator. i failed to see that there was exessive pressure in the system. i had the car towed back to ankara, where it sat for another 3 months, in the end the guy gave up and said it can't fix it, he said "i fix the overheating, the car knocks, i change the bearings, the car overheats", and he didn't gave us a refund. i got the car towed BACK to my home in around the summer of 2022 if i recall correctly. I have ordered a brand new 2.5 v6 crate engine from china in july through a friend, and it arrived much much later in december of 2022. i was in erasmus, belgium in the periods of september 22- jan 23, so the car sat all that time. when i returned, the earthquake happend (the big one that got coverage in feb). we weren't efected but i was in voluntary service so i had to postpone the car for a week. I have agreed with another mechanic in istanbul to put the crate engine in the car, but sadly that guy basically lied to us and made the car and the engine sit for another month. finally, in around the second week of march 23, i asked my friend who owns a shop if we can put the crate engine in, keep in mind that there is NOT A SINGLE SOUL that fixes rover 75's in turkey, the ones that claim to do so are just scammers. we began first with extracting the old engine from the car then we ordered the missing parts such as the thermostate, spark plugs, gaskets for the exhaust etc, all oem. it took us a while to sort it all out but we managed to do it, just couple days ago, we have managed to start the car, without any problems! there is just a tiny bit of missfire when stationary, an oil leak from the oil filter and the cooler, and that's it! i have covered the first 150kms, and the fuel cons is suuuper bad, seeing 150kms in half a tank there's a huge gaping hole in the muffler, i have ordered a vectra 2.5 muffler wich had the same design, it's scheueled to arrive tomorrow. Currently, the car is in my friends shop, oil everywhere from the filter, waiting the morning so i can fix it and cover the first 1k kilometres! looking forward to it, i will keep you guys updated about the journey!

https://imgur.com/a/BAJeXww here is all the photos and the video
TheBaran is offline   Reply With Quote