Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2023, 20:59   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Oh dear,Crusty sills strike again

Hi,
After the salt ridden roads of this winter, I've discovered another section of sill has succumbed to the dreaded rot.Three year's back I had some repairs done and there still looking good but today I came across a new section of rot.Its directly under the middle of the front door.I gave it firm push with my thumb only for it to disappear through the out facing sill. Well I thought the damage is done so I continue to push away to see how bad it was. I've picked a hole the size of a match box before I got to some solid metal.Peering inside the inner sill looks to be in excellent condition.
I was feeling a little deflated by it all this evening, but after some reflection I still think the car is worth getting it sorted. It will probably cost a few hundred to get it sorted out properly,
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:21   #2
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb44 View Post
Hi,
After the salt ridden roads of this winter, I've discovered another section of sill has succumbed to the dreaded rot.Three year's back I had some repairs done and there still looking good but today I came across a new section of rot.Its directly under the middle of the front door.I gave it firm push with my thumb only for it to disappear through the out facing sill. Well I thought the damage is done so I continue to push away to see how bad it was. I've picked a hole the size of a match box before I got to some solid metal.Peering inside the inner sill looks to be in excellent condition.
I was feeling a little deflated by it all this evening, but after some reflection I still think the car is worth getting it sorted. It will probably cost a few hundred to get it sorted out properly,
When you get it welded fill with Dinitrol through every hole you can find to prevent it happening again
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2023, 21:35   #3
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Will do Les.
I suppose after 20 year's and many miles of use It's inevitable the tin worm will strike.
It's not bad though when all things considered.Just the other day I saw a 61 plate VW Sirocco and the whole front bonnet lip was discoloured with underlying rust stains.Imagine what that will look like when it hits 20 year's old.
Old 3rd March 2023, 07:30   #4
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Will do Les.
I suppose after 20 year's and many miles of use It's inevitable the tin worm will strike.
It's not bad though when all things considered.Just the other day I saw a 61 plate VW Sirocco and the whole front bonnet lip was discoloured with underlying rust stains.Imagine what that will look like when it hits 20 year's old.
The 75 has an amazing longevity compared with newer cars, only problem seems to be the sills and sometimes the leading edge of the bonnet. They really do put many other marques to shame John
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2023, 08:12   #5
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Will do Les.
Most of the time that will be due to cars having replacement panels fitted. as I've seen cars driving around with a full door bottom rotten and the rest are okay.
Old 3rd March 2023, 13:49   #6
johnnyb44

Rover 75

I just took my car to a garage to have a good look round underneath.The chap seemed concerned in that he recalls the 75 having lots of foam inserts inside the sills as standard and where a pain to get out and where a potential fire hazard when welding in new sill peices.Any thoughts and views on this as I've personally was never aware of this
Old 6th March 2023, 15:59   #7
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi John. Tom Hobbs is the man to go to if you want it done properly. Ask Arctic. He has ha d his done by him. He is a proper coach builder of many years experience.
Old 6th March 2023, 16:07   #8
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I don't recall any of the ones I've had containing foam inside the sills, and I've had the stainless strips off and flex probes down every hole. That foam thing used to be in some Jags - from memory they put it in the front crossmember to improve NVH but the drainage was at best marginal - so perhaps he is thinking of those?

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2023, 16:28   #9
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

My 03 zt had a foam barrier just in front of the rear jacking point, found it after cutting the old sill off.
It was rock hard and was surprisingly stuck in place after all these years.

Stan
Old 6th March 2023, 20:14   #10
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

I'm pretty sure there are foam blocks adjacent to each jacking point . I have read somewhere they were put in to damp vibration and deaden noise , and apparently stop you spraying underseal etc along the full length of the sill .