Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2023, 20:59   #1
-Joe
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Classic SE 1.8T

Default How I fixed overboost and surge problem 1.8T

I had two causes for my 18T 75s poor performance.

Problem 1 Overboost caused total power loss during overtaking and full throttle acceleration.

I removed all three small pipes from the turbo, cleaned them and made new good air tight connections with small lengths of new rubber pipe. I poked the holes clean with a cocktail stick.

I cleaned all the big air pipes and made sure they all sealed well.

I tapped the waste gate arm carefully with a hammer to free it and then levered it to make sure it wasn't stuck closed. It won't move much due to a heavy spring in the actuator.

I took the valve on the air box and cleaned it with WD, tested it on a car battery, hear the thing click and blew through it with 12v power on and off. I refitted it and made sure the air pipes had a good seal.

Problem 2 The car still had a lesser surge problem.

I replaced the HT leads and coil packs with new ones. The turbo needs a super good spark when high boosting. So HT ignition needs to be perfect for smooth acceleration.

Car is now fixed!
-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2023, 14:25   #2
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

sounds like a plan for my 1.8T Joe, mine just looses all power for a second at nearly 4000rpm and then kicks back in under hard acceleration. ive re-gapped the plugs 0.70mm and fitted new coil packs and leads made no difference. just far too cold and wet right now
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote