Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th May 2021, 10:48   #1
Phil16v

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Horn connectors

Does anyone know what the correct connectors are for the horn on a 75 diesel tourer? Mine has a couple of Faston (spade) connectors, with the mating halves crimped on to the loom, and they've all rusted up. No surprise there - they're not really designed to be weather resistant. The pictures I've seen of the correct horn have a proper 2 pin automotive connector with a latch and seal, but there are so many similar connectors available that I can't tell which one I need.
Phil16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 12:28   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil16v View Post
Does anyone know what the correct connectors are for the horn on a 75 diesel tourer? Mine has a couple of Faston (spade) connectors, with the mating halves crimped on to the loom, and they've all rusted up. No surprise there - they're not really designed to be weather resistant. The pictures I've seen of the correct horn have a proper 2 pin automotive connector with a latch and seal, but there are so many similar connectors available that I can't tell which one I need.
My twin horn 2004 Contemporary SE (OE) has spade connectors, you'r right they are c..p considering where they are located. I've seen pics. of our cars with plug-in horn connections so maybe it was a Project Drive cost saving/(err value engineering/improvement) exercise.
Lost one tone last year (copper wire parted near the spade crimping) and fixed it whilst the front was off replacing the AC condenser. Put it all back, nice twin tone restored - after a couple of days of modest pootling around during the C-19 lockdown I was back to one tone again - suspect the other wire has now parted; there's a moral in there somewhere and a lesson to be learned.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 12:38   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I've some of these weatherproof connectors:

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co...oof-connectors

Obviously not original but I can vouch for them being weatherproof as I've used them for 2 wheeled electrics.

Just check the loading on the horn(s) as they only accept up to 1.5mm2 cable. I think that's around 20A - I'm sure the electricians will confirm, or otherwise, soon. My 52 plate tourer's horn fuse is 15A (early type fuse box with full sized spade fuses).

Hope that helps.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 19:33   #4
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
My twin horn 2004 Contemporary SE (OE) has spade connectors, you'r right they are c..p considering where they are located. I've seen pics. of our cars with plug-in horn connections so maybe it was a Project Drive cost saving/(err value engineering/improvement) exercise.
Lost one tone last year (copper wire parted near the spade crimping) and fixed it whilst the front was off replacing the AC condenser. Put it all back, nice twin tone restored - after a couple of days of modest pootling around during the C-19 lockdown I was back to one tone again - suspect the other wire has now parted; there's a moral in there somewhere and a lesson to be learned.
The OEM horn(s) have a plug fitting so if they have spade connectors then they are not originals. A 2004 model might be a victim of PPD where they only fitted one horn (a low tone only) but easy enough to add the second one back on the driver's side. I retro fitted the second one on mine with an OEM horn and twin horn loom.

If you get the proper Hella horns, you can probably get the correct loom or connectors of a scrapper
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2021, 19:42   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Post 3.----Fit something like that as those will be--fit and forget.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2021, 14:03   #6
Phil16v

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I've answered my own question now. I found a drawing of the connector on the 'Bolt-on-Bits' shop on eBay while I was looking for a replacement horn. I rang the man, and asked about connectors, and he went away to have a rummage, and came back with a Land Rover Defender side repeater connector, which needed "a small mod" (which he did) to make it fit.

I ordered both, they arrived this morning, and they fit together perfectly. He said he would list the connector as Rover 75 compatible, and do the small mod if anyone orders them as a Rover part. They come with a length of cable on them, which I will need to shorten and solder to the existing loom after I've cut off the spades. Some adhesive-lined heat shrink should keep the water out.

The horns are eBay reference 233276838364 and the Defender connector is 363035714212, but it may get its own number if it's listed as a Rover part.

As soon as it stops raining, I'll be out with the soldering iron.
Phil16v is offline   Reply With Quote