Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2019, 06:47   #21
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Nearly bought a Bordeaux saloon but it was a coupe I wanted, the saloon was a far better example but it was also 4 grand dearer
You get more car for your money with a saloon. More wood, more headroom, more legroom & bigger rear seats. You never saw Prime Ministers in a coupe.

There were two of those campers, the 3.5 & a 3 litre which l think was broken up as it had deteriorated too much. They were created back in the day when the cars were current, possibly by the same owner, IIRC. I saw them together once at Brooklands, at an owner's club national rally. I took mine for a spin up on the members banking. You weren't supposed to but rules are for breaking. You can't get on it now unless the museum hires it from Mercedes.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 5th November 2019 at 06:49..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 07:02   #22
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
My dad used to run jags around the same time, so I was always disappointed by the P5's dash, but there is a reason why Government ministers were using them long after they had gone out of production.
I love the dash, very David Bache, well designed & ergonomic rather than cutting holes in a plank of wood.
I put the extra coupe clocks in my saloon.

They are nice & solid feeling to drive. Very comfortable & smooth though the rear cartsprings can feel a bit harsh over potholes. The 3.5 power steering is extremely American. No feel & very sensitive at speed but you get used to it & the BW35 isn't the smoothest-changing gearbox, you can improve things with manual changes. It feels like an occasion when you take one out. You used to sit above other road users but these days they look quite small.
I also had an automatic three litre which felt a very different car. Still smooth with the lovely straight six but with more olde world charm, l think. She was an early one, a Mk1a.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 6th November 2019 at 08:49..
Old 5th November 2019, 20:57   #23
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Ah yes you may get all that with a saloon but you still have to steal the extra clocks from a coupe to sport it up a bit and you don’t get underbonnet lighting either

To be honest I was always disappointed by the dash, I always loved the instrument pod but found the rest a bit too plain & featureless, but it’s really grown on me over the years.
They are lovely to drive, I drove mine back from Bristol when I bought it & it just swallowed up the miles.
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2019, 09:17   #24
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

No, l love the whole dash, the instrument binnacle, the wide expanse of African Cherrywood unsullied by the ugly radio grille & the huge full width parcelshelf. The cherry on the cake was when they moved the time clock over to the curved wooden corner of the facia for the MkIII & the 'B', just lovely.
And imagine my delight on first driving her at night when l discovered that the toggle switches lit up individually.
As l said, l did add the coupe clocks many years ago but l'm not sure l would now. They do rather mar the unfussed dignity of the saloon & you only gain the oil pressure gauge & tachometer. The coupe was for the slight bounders of the establishment who couldn't bring themselves to drive a Jaguar whereas the saloon, well the saloon was the personal transport of The Queen.

Bache was an advocate of minimalism which certainly showed with the first generation P6, which has such an integrated interior that it's very difficult to add extra instruments without them looking like awkward afterthoughts. Practically impossible in fact.

Old 6th November 2019, 21:28   #25
2Diesels
Trader

I do appreciate it much more these days but still think it’s the wrong dash for the car. I agree with you about the illuminated switches, I was delighted when I finally got the dash lights working & discovered that
Old 9th November 2019, 01:42   #26
The Rovering Member

Rover 75 saloon

I can't imagine it with any other dash, though once saw one where the front of the binnacle was just a sheet of black perspex until the ignition was switched on and it was all digital. That was a car & a half, the workmanship and attention to detail was astounding.

Old 9th November 2019, 07:26   #27
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Person.

Hope you enjoy it.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 19:54   #28
2Diesels
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
I can't imagine it with any other dash, though once saw one where the front of the binnacle was just a sheet of black perspex until the ignition was switched on and it was all digital. That was a car & a half, the workmanship and attention to detail was astounding.
I don’t know what the dash should be like in my mind but if I saw it I would know
Old 9th November 2019, 20:00   #29
2Diesels
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Lucky lucky lucky lucky Person.

Hope you enjoy it.
Do I detect a hint of jealousy there?
It wasn’t really luck, it was just having the balls to go for it really. I’ve loved them since I was a nipper & they’ve always been that bit out of reach for me, so when I got a long overdue substantial pay rise I decided to borrow the money & use my new found wealth to pay it off. If I’d left it & got used to having the extra then it would never have happened because prices of P5s seem to be climbing now & it wouldn’t be long before they were out of reach again
Old 21st November 2019, 21:34   #30
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Wow, that's lovely mate! Makes me miss my P4! My P6 too...

Does it need any work or is it all up together?