Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd October 2019, 09:48   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks for your helpful post Pete. Since both you and Ben are experiencing the same low running temperature, I'm wondering whether the housings are fitted with a thermostat rated at a lower temperature. When you and Ben remove the suspect units, could you note whether the thermostat is fully closed as it should be? It would be even more interesting to know at what temperature they begin to open when heated in a pan of water.

It's unusual that your straight pipe developed a hole Pete. Do you have a photograph? Where's the damage exactly?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 23rd October 2019 at 12:08.. Reason: Grammar
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:12   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
The expansion tank cap has 140 on the top, is this the temperature at which it opens?
It's the relief pressure rating in kiloPascals (kPa). The '140' translates into 1.4Bar or 20psi in English. To vent off at that pressure the coolant will be at around 118 -120C (if 50% antifreeze mix is used). The temperature will vary if a different coolant mix is used.

If you want the detail see: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=245253

Quote:
If so would it be wise to replace this too, seeing as it is opening at 107 degrees, or could the pressure at this temperature have been sufficient to open it?
The usual cause of cap leakage is the rubber seals. If you replace them the problem is usually fixed at lower cost. You can get these from forum traders, ebay, ring suppliers, etc. Obviously you can replace the cap if necessary.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 23rd October 2019 at 10:15..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:20   #13
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

A stuck thermostat sounds probable. Nothing wrong with a running temperature of about 85 degrees however. In cold weather using the heater you can easily see that.
I would however be cautious with Chinese parts. The money saved on purchase is not worth it in most cases. Taking chances with this item is a bit silly.
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:10   #14
Steve42
I really should get out more.......

mg 190+

last night fitted new thermostat and sender unit from dmgrs .
the thermostat was rated at 82c. have just taken it for a drive round.
in free air at 50 mph temp was 88c.
around town at 20 to 30 mph , been stuck behind buses went up to 93c
temp did move about depending on rpm due to the water pump pushing slower or faster.
the drive round involed twisting road with lots of bends, taken up to 80 mph, then the last test was around the town.
now befour we changed the items my v6 petrol 2.5 allways ran at 93 only hitting the 100c when standing still.
only problem i have had is the coolant filler cap. again brand new from dmgrs when i went to open it up today to check all was well. the top of the cap broke off in my hand and left the valve part in the filler part of the tank.

steve
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:19   #15
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
last night fitted new thermostat and sender unit from dmgrs .
the thermostat was rated at 82c. have just taken it for a drive round.
in free air at 50 mph temp was 88c.
around town at 20 to 30 mph , been stuck behind buses went up to 93c
temp did move about depending on rpm due to the water pump pushing slower or faster.
the drive round involed twisting road with lots of bends, taken up to 80 mph, then the last test was around the town.
now befour we changed the items my v6 petrol 2.5 allways ran at 93 only hitting the 100c when standing still.
only problem i have had is the coolant filler cap. again brand new from dmgrs when i went to open it up today to check all was well. the top of the cap broke off in my hand and left the valve part in the filler part of the tank.

steve
Chinese parts. Altogether not a brilliant idea. The Chinese make decent stuff, but many importers think they are clever and press prices, this is the result.
Buy decent tools and decent spares. They are never the cheapest, how can they be?
Some people learn very, very slowly, if at all..
Old 23rd October 2019, 15:51   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... fitted new thermostat and sender unit from dmgrs . the thermostat was rated at 82c.
Steve; 82 degrees C is moulded into the upper thermostat casing of a genuine MGR part but it should be ignored. The thermostat inside will definitely not open until 88 degrees. I have tested it.

Quote:
... temp did move about depending on rpm due to the water pump pushing slower or faster.
By how much did the temperature vary, can you give us some figures please? When the car is moving the temperature should be reasonably stable in the low nineties. However, if you are saying that temperature variation is directly linked to engine speed, rather than road speed, then you still have a problem. In that case I would suspect that your cooling system isn't pressurising due to a minor leak somewhere.
Quote:
... now before we changed the items my v6 petrol 2.5 allways ran at 93 only hitting the 100c when standing still.
That's normal.
Quote:
... only problem i have had is the coolant filler cap. again brand new from dmgrs ... the top of the cap broke off in my hand and left the valve part in the filler part of the tank.
Please see my earlier reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'd suggest that you change your supplier to a recognised X-Part dealer.
Simon
Old 3rd July 2021, 21:37   #17
MGtom91
Regular poster

MG ZT KV6 (160)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
A couple of years ago my thermostat cracked catastrophically, managed to get the car home eventually (many stops to let it cool down) with no overheating damage. I fitted a full thermostat kit from Matt, bled using the approved procedure. No issues afterwards, heaters warm, no coolant loss. However the normal running temperature fluctuated between 81 and 84 degrees, no-where near 96 degrees as been suggested is the norm. As said I have had no issues...until recently! Coolant level low, topped up but evidence of leakage from the expansion bottle cap. A couple of days later while sat in traffic I saw steam from under the bonnet, checked OBD and temperature was at 107 degrees before the fan kicked in.

Further investigation found the fan low speed was kaputt, and the high speed kicked in just as the expansion bottle cap would let go, also coolant in the 'vee' due to a hole in the straight pipe between the pump and the thermostat.

I have ordered another thermostat kit from Matt, along with a gold resistor to restore fan low speed operation, when fitted I will report back regarding the running temperature and see how it compares.

Edit: The expansion tank cap has 140 on the top, is this the temperature at which it opens? If so would it be wise to replace this too, seeing as it is opening at 107 degrees, or could the pressure at this temperature have been sufficient to open it?
I know this is 2 years old but I'm having the same low temps after fitting a DMGRS kit. You said you would report back after fitting the replacement kit? Did your temps change with new kit?
MGtom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2021, 09:48   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGtom91 View Post
You said you would report back after fitting the replacement kit? Did your temps change with new kit?
Dubya last posted on the forum in December 2020, so maybe he's no longer around.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2021, 11:34   #19
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

i think the 140 refers to pascals. i think t-cut knows about these !!

Last edited by xsport; 5th July 2021 at 11:37..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote