Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2008, 01:32   #1
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Default Front Disc Pad Replacement

Rover 75 Conn SE CDTi Auto Dec '04 / Facelift

I need to replace the Front Pads, and notice there's 2 kinds viz;

Pads alone.

Pads with warning light wire attached.

Can anyone advise me which I need, and also the prices (Ebay) seem to vary from £16 to about £70 (which are notably marked 'not like some of the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- on here from other sellers etc...)'

There are also Mintex one's complete with Discs for £41.13 as well. I've got 38k on the existing pads, with perhaps another 4k yet to go, so original replacements would seem favourable - were these Mintex?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 07:26   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Martin,

It's been my experience that the low brake pad sensor is purchased as a separate part. It certainly has it's own Rover part number: SOE 100 010. Some motor factors also supply them, probably at a lower price.

If you're being offered brake pads with warning light attached, then be very cautious. Of course, it's always possible that the pads and sensors are being sold as a kit, so ask the seller for clarification.

If I were you I would go to a reputable motor factor and choose a well-known brand like Mintex, TRW (Lucas) or Ferodo. Expect to pay £25 including VAT. If you renew the pads before the sensor operates, you'll be able to re-use it and save yourself £11.

Simon.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:28   #3
Martin75
Loves to post

Default Simon many thanks

Simon,

Many thanks for this, I never realised the warning light sensor needed replacing once the light came on!

I'll get on to Rimmers and get the Mintex,

Much appreciated

Martin
Old 17th December 2008, 10:32   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

These kits usually contain four pads to service either the front or the rear brakes. The pair used in each brake consists of an inner and an outer pad. Each has a different design. The pad which fits the inner side of the disc carries a three pronged clip to locate it in the brake piston bore. This pad also has the slotted backplate to receive the wear sensor head. The sensor is a separate part, not usually supplied with the pads. However, some eBay vendors may include a sensor. The brake discs are usually sold as separate items, but this also varies. Some vendors sell kits which provide a new disc, pads and a sensor. Sensor heads are made of plastic and usually get very brittle before they wear away and pop the warning light. They'll typically disintegrate on removal. Careful handling may allow an unworn one to be reused, but it's really better to fit a fresh sensor to the new pads. Only the off-side front and rear brake carries a sensor, so you need two to do the lot.

TC
Avoid buying cheap brake parts. As in everything, you get what you pay for. It's usually best to buy MGR branded spares if possible. These will be exactly like the ones originally fitted. Alternative parts should be branded with a big name such as Mintex, Ferodo, EBC, etc.)

Last edited by T-Cut; 17th December 2008 at 13:52..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 12:35   #5
Martin75
Loves to post

Default Thanks Tcut

I agree, I'm going to replace the sensors as well, for the cost involved its efficient to get it done at the same time.

Many thanks,

Martin