Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th November 2017, 14:54   #11
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartIngram View Post
Not relevant to your original question...but..
When I had an Ital, I took a 21W brakelight bulb, soldered some wires to it, and dropped it in the washer bottle. It was wired to work when the ignition was on. Certainly helped!

Stewart
Still won't stop the jet's from freezing though...

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 17:39   #12
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Just a simple idea of mine
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 19:32   #13
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_with_a_screwdriver View Post
I've just fitted some heater washer jets and the extra wiring loom to my 75.
Out of interest I tested the resistance of the heater elements.
One was open circuit, so I'll assume it is knackered and the other had 190 ohms resistance.
The 190 ohms resistance equals about 0.06 amps or 0.78 watts which seems a bit low as I was expecting about 10-15 watts per heater or about 10-20 ohms. The heated washers are on the same 5A fuse as the mirror demisters so I would expect each to draw about 1 - 1.25 amps equalling around about 4.5 overall.

Has anyone been here before with this and is able to offer any advice please with regard to expected test values?

Also my nearside mirror demister didn't work and I tested the heating element which had about 1000 ohms resistance or a current draw of 0.014 amps.
Because I cracked the mirror trying to test it I didn't bother trying to remove the offside to compare.
I've just investigated the heated mirrors on my ZT as compared to my Mk1 they didn't seen to be getting warm. I checked a couple of glasses on a spare set of mirrors and they measure around 25 ohms. I removed the ones on my car and one was around 40 ohms and the other was 160 ohms. I changed the glasses over and now they feel noticeably warmer.

I did check one of the washer jets and got around 60 ohms so these seem to be working ok.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 09:19   #14
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

As others have said ficus mk3 jets are the muts nuts, the spray mist pattern is superb and a direct fit. The heating elements in these type of washers are tiny so dont expect frozen washer pipesto be ice free all the time.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 10:03   #15
impvan
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Location: In the trees, near Caernarfon... and frequently Aberdeenshire, and sometimes Romania..

Another consideration when measuring the resistance of the jets, it what kind of heater does it use?

Simple resistance checks on the mirrors is straightforward, their resistance doesn't change much as they heat up.

But given their size, I would expect the washer jets to use a different method - likely an NTC pellet heater. The resistance of this varies wildly with temperature: when cold it has a low resistance, as it warms up the resistance increases markedly - so it self-regulates.
Converting /cold/ resistance to wattage with an ntc element is impossible without the design spec as the relationship is non-linear with temperature.

That said, now I've got the heads-up on the Mk3 Focus jets, I'll pop one on the bench PSU and do some live measurements...
impvan is offline   Reply With Quote