Old 29th August 2017, 18:06   #31
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Sorry to hear of your disappointment .

How times change, When I was conscripted into the RAF, ( 1946), everyone was asked what trade they would like to be in . Good idea.
B ut every trade that we mentioned got the reply ... ' you have to sign on for 3..or..6 years for that '. We were conscripts !! Nobody signed on .
Result ..... a whole intake ( about 100 guys) were allocated jobs they didnt want to do . Some got jobs that others would have had to sign on for.

Best of luck .
I'm still going in the army just can't get into the REME which is what I really wanted too do.

Only thing I can of is build up my experience and I'm hoping the Bovington Tank museum can help inn that regard.

Its worth a shot.

Things have greatly changed in the army also the displine has changed as well, The recutrting process is a lot longer and more strict then ever.

Lest we forget.

Never forget them and support our armed forces.

https://i.imgur.com/oyca2Lyl.jpg?1
Passion Never Dies It Only Gets Stronger.
Go your own way.

Lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 18:37   #32
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Hiya all got a update from the REME and well its not good news for my first choice.

They believe I can't get in because of my lack of GCSE's, I get the impression they think I can't learn new skills, even tho I've got my NVQ in automotive engineering level 2/ level3.

I've been dropped, I've always been a believer that experience triumphs overall.

I've still got my two options, Its not going too be hands on like taking engines apart and doing general engineering maintence.

I don't know what too do.

So I've came up with an idea, Go back too Dorset and head over too the Bovington tank museum and do a course over there.

Too gain experience and hopefully overall this GCSE obsession they have, its not always about a piece of paper.
Unfortunately Dave, these days it is. Unless you have a degree in something, a lot of employers aren't interested. My wife has 12 years experience working as a T A in a school, she has the life skill, the experience, and the enthusiasm to become a teacher, but because she hasn't got a degree, she can't go in to teacher training. Yet someone who has a degree in something like engineering, can walk straight in to t t. Even with no experience. As you say though, what about those who have the knowledge experience and enthusiasm? Don't want to pour water on your dreams here mate, but just need to let you know how the system operates these days, its not fair. I had the same when I was leaving school, wanted to be a mechanic, did a YTS, which was a waste of time, and wrote off to every garage within a bus journey of home, asking if they would take on an apprentice, with basic skills and lots of enthusiasm,. Not one would give me a chance.
Old 29th August 2017, 19:35   #33
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

When I was (a lot) younger my ambition was always to fly. I was interviewed at 16 years of age and on the basis of that interview the cockpit was ruled out, I was never told why I kept applying to the RAF but each time it was another step down the ladder. I was eventually accepted as groundcrew on the maintenance side and got to Swinderby for the basic training. However, while at Swinderby I had a career crisis, decided grease monkey isn't really what I wanted to be. Bought myself out and within weeks started on the railway thinking it'll do for now . . . . ended up on the railway for close to thirty years!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2017, 19:53   #34
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
When I was (a lot) younger my ambition was always to fly. I was interviewed at 16 years of age and on the basis of that interview the cockpit was ruled out, I was never told why I kept applying to the RAF but each time it was another step down the ladder. I was eventually accepted as groundcrew on the maintenance side and got to Swinderby for the basic training. However, while at Swinderby I had a career crisis, decided grease monkey isn't really what I wanted to be. Bought myself out and within weeks started on the railway thinking it'll do for now . . . . ended up on the railway for close to thirty years!
When you did your ground crew work how did you find it and also is there any engineering involved?

Like taking helicopter apart and reassembling it that kind of thing.
Or is just primary on weapon load outs and refuelling ?

As that's my 2nd option in the Army Air Corp?

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 29th August 2017, 19:57   #35
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Unfortunately Dave, these days it is. Unless you have a degree in something, a lot of employers aren't interested. My wife has 12 years experience working as a T A in a school, she has the life skill, the experience, and the enthusiasm to become a teacher, but because she hasn't got a degree, she can't go in to teacher training. Yet someone who has a degree in something like engineering, can walk straight in to t t. Even with no experience. As you say though, what about those who have the knowledge experience and enthusiasm? Don't want to pour water on your dreams here mate, but just need to let you know how the system operates these days, its not fair. I had the same when I was leaving school, wanted to be a mechanic, did a YTS, which was a waste of time, and wrote off to every garage within a bus journey of home, asking if they would take on an apprentice, with basic skills and lots of enthusiasm,. Not one would give me a chance.
Hiya Rich to be honest I'm not giving up yet and I do have a back up plan set in motion.

Will it work I have no idea but its worth a go.
Its not over yet.

I can see your point tho, at the same time it can be possible as when I did tech at first they didn't want too take me on till a course tutor took me in despite the lack of GCSE's.

Mainly because he was the same as me no GCSE's at all, just given an Opportunity and he proved himself.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 29th August 2017, 21:41   #36
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Just before I was your age Dave I used to repair circuit boards which was a pretty basic job and eventually I left.
3 years of no work and I started a voluntary job in social work, which led me to do and A level which with my humble CSE's results I never thought I would be able to do it. After 3 years in social work I decided I would go for the diploma in social work DipSW and was soon employed.

It wasn't easy for me studying but I made a new carer choice in that line of work beginning from the age of 24.

I know that's not got nothing to do with the forces but persistence can get you out of a hole at anytime in life. Its never to late to redo your GCSE's of show them some for of qualification that then shows you have skills in studying or any A level at that matter. I studied once a week in the evenings for a year whilst I was working.

Hope you find your path Lordy
Old 29th August 2017, 22:24   #37
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rover View Post
Hiya all got a update from the REME and well its not good news for my first choice.

They believe I can't get in because of my lack of GCSE's, I get the impression they think I can't learn new skills, even tho I've got my NVQ in automotive engineering level 2/ level3.

I've been dropped, I've always been a believer that experience triumphs overall.

I've still got my two options, Its not going too be hands on like taking engines apart and doing general engineering maintence.

I don't know what too do.

So I've came up with an idea, Go back too Dorset and head over too the Bovington tank museum and do a course over there.

Too gain experience and hopefully overall this GCSE obsession they have, its not always about a piece of paper.
Sorry to read that Dave, surely it's their loss mate
You've still got options like you say so, stay positive. The Bovington idea sounds good, got to be worth a go.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 07:00   #38
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I couldn't agree more Rich, the system is a lot of rollocks in my opinion. Sometimes life experience is far more important than a piece of paper .

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2017, 14:45   #39
Lordy
This is my second home

Ford Probe GT.

Default Just phoned the bovington tank muesume

Good news just phoned the Tank museum now and they do have courses in tank museum that I can do prove too army that I can get into the REME.

Also they do NVQ's as well which is what I've got already, how ever more advanced and also exactly what the army need in terms of qualifications.

There's a 100 Chance that I'll be going back just too find out the dates and times.

its not over yet.

Lest we forget.

Go your own way.

Old 30th August 2017, 19:33   #40
Spenrex
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

I really admire your commitment and ambition Dave the army will have a huge asset in you, good luck!!