Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th October 2016, 19:33   #1
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Default What's a hot spot not?

Many thanks to this forum & the extremely helpful support & advice available I have now been educated on running the simple didgital temperature test using the button between the clocks. Easy.

Anyway the accurate temp on my journey to work this morning showed a consistent reading of 85-89 celsius depending on load, speed etc which as far as I know is normal.
Would probably expect these figures to increase a little in the summer.

Just out of interest what temperature would you normally expect the fan to kick in?

75 1.8T

Cheers.
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 20:54   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Your 2006 1.8T has a PRT set at 88°C, which means a year round running temperature of 88-90°C. It shouldn't fall below 88°C during normal driving unless the thermostat has been replaced with a non-standard one.

The cooling fan is a 2-speed system, with a low speed trip-on point of 104°C. In normal driving situations you'll be unlikely to get to the high speed on point of 112°C except during a heat soak. This usually happens when the very hot engine is turned off. In this situation, the fan will run without the ignition key for up to five minutes.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the running temperature for a bit to see if it really does drop to 85°C when driving. If so, the thermostat could be suspect.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 21:57   #3
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Your 2006 1.8T has a PRT set at 88°C, which means a year round running temperature of 88-90°C. It shouldn't fall below 88°C during normal driving unless the thermostat has been replaced with a non-standard one.

The cooling fan is a 2-speed system, with a low speed trip-on point of 104°C. In normal driving situations you'll be unlikely to get to the high speed on point of 112°C except during a heat soak. This usually happens when the very hot engine is turned off. In this situation, the fan will run without the ignition key for up to five minutes.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the running temperature for a bit to see if it really does drop to 85°C when driving. If so, the thermostat could be suspect.

TC
Mmmm??

I have had the coolant & thermostat changed every year since I bought it as well as a radiator cap just to keep everything just so.

Car due another service shortly but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on it.

Ta.
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 22:17   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The thermostat shouldn't require changing annually. In my experience, you have to be a bit particular where you source a PRT. Very few seem to fit the original MGR specification.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote