Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th October 2016, 08:15   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post

I stuck my camera down there & too this.
Looks pretty black to me
Bloomin photobucket not working..
bare with..
Take the air box out and eyeball it at the right hand end of the engine Chris, much easier to see

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 12:59   #12
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

Chris, I am just back from a round trip from near Chester down to Dover, over to Calais and then to Switzerland, toured there 3 weeks, and back. Had a car load of food in the boot (Swiss prices being as steep as the mountains!) - and my Rover 75 1.8 2001 saloon with about 80K on the clock was fine, apart from a squeak that went away once back here and washed thoroughly. I had 2 new tyres on the rear, a proper spare wheel (pick up a s/h alloy off eBay and get a new tyre for it - should fit in well to replace space saver). Also oil and filter changed, air filter and spark plugs and a general service before I went. Passed its MOT with no advisories a few weeks before I went out. Mine has had the steel reinforced h/gasket done some years ago, so not a problem. I'd check all your hoses and belts look OK. I had a spare fan belt with me, as well as the fuses and bulbs. But as long as you can avoid some of the worst of the French drivers in towns, you should be OK. I was driving for 5 - 6 hours at a time to get across France and the 75 was fine. Also had spare oil and water in the boot.... Enjoy the trip! Alex
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 17:33   #13
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I am just about to embark on a return trip from the Algarve dragging my caravan behind. I have done this trip twice a year for the last two years, one trip with the van and one without. On my first trip last year I did have two separate issues, rad burst and crank pulley failed which I got sorted OK. Otherwise brilliant.
I can understand the OP's concern because it does knock your confidence, I carry a load of tools and bits, a full set of hoses, belts, and a spare UBP but when my problems occured I wasn't in a position to sort it myself anyway. You can get so paranoid you could end up towing a spare car with you!!
I was speaking with a guy out here last week who toured all over France with his caravan on the back of his 1.8T but reluctantly ended up getting rid after his clutch master cylinder failed for the 3rd time (rimmers service getting parts were 1st class) and he'd had his HG done! I think it's a matter of chance as long as the car is well serviced etc all should be well, I used to drive my high mileage 800 all over the place without giving reliability a second thought.
This forum is brilliant but I do think it can prompt negative thoughts on what could go wrong, I liken it to visiting hospital where mostly folks have a problem/need help. My nephew was about to buy a ZTT but was put off after reading posts, I convinced him otherwise and he is well pleased he went ahead.
The biggest fear I have abroad is repatriation if the car cannot be repaired, as someone as already aluded to, the small print in breakdown policies excludes this if the cost is higher than the market value, my insurer includes the cost of the caravan so half the time when towing I have a fighting chance.
Come Saturday it will be positive thinking (and fingers crossed).
Good Luck
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 18:16   #14
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

We have nothing to fear but fear itself! (FDR)
Don't let your life get dominated by a fear of a head gasket failure!
Service the car, make sure the auxiliary belts are fine, oil and filter changed and water and antifreeze is OK and the fan works.
Then go on holiday and enjoy it. If you are really paranoid, bring a gasket with you. This engine can be repaired anywhere with simple tools, provided spares are at hand.
Old 24th October 2016, 20:43   #15
Chris G

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
I am just about to embark on a return trip from the Algarve
Exactly the journey we are doing.
I've already done the journey in my 75 last year & it was fine.
Car has been meticulously maintained & looked after by its first owner and I have continued with the same level of care..

My wife says I love the car more than her..!

Maybe I'm just another worrier caused by reading too much.
I often wonder if the demise of Rover back in 2005 has anything to do with the very British problem of running ourselves down.

The French have always made shockingly unreliable stuff but their car industry remains buoyant as a result of patriotism & good marketing.

I've had 4 K series powered Rovers including this one, we also run an MGF in the summer months just for a bit of fun.
I think they are brilliant engines, however when you google the words 'Rover K Series' the search engines automatically come up with all the bad stuff, it's no wonder people got put off buying them..
Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 21:29   #16
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

My wife thinks the same!
Portugal was Rover's biggest export market so there will be some expertise still about if you do hit trouble, you still see 25s/45s & 75s about. There's a V reg Wedgwood Blue running about down here at the mo, have seen it earlier in the year but have not managed to catch up yet.

I go back via Caen and can't wait to get out on the open roads again. I will be on tenterhooks to see if my 2nd stage fan works ok on the climb over the mountains between Caceres & Salamanca, going North it's 5% for 6.5 kms, last time struggled to get over without overheating with the van on.

Enjoy your trip
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 22:49   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I often wonder if the demise of Rover back in 2005 has anything to do with the very British problem of running ourselves down.

Yes, I think so Chris. The seeds were sown much earlier of course.

Simon