Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2008, 07:10   #1
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default In-Tank Diesel Fuel Pump (peugeot alternative)

Hi
I've been following the forum threads closely about changing the standard diesel in-tank fuel pump with the peugeot 406 HDI alternative (part number 1525Y3). So I went to my local GSF and said what I wanted to do and gave them the part number (1525Y3). The guys there were helpful and first said that they only did the 1525Z3 which is a Bosch unit, but when they tried the 1525Y3 part number I had on their system it came back as the Siemens VDO and was available for order. So I asked them to order me one. However, what arrived the next day was a pump in a Bosch box with a Bosch label on it and the number 0 986 580 216. The paper inovice that came with it showed the correct part number - 1525Y3.

So I'm a little stuck with what to do - Do I take it back and insist it's wrong because it should be a Siemens VDO or can part number 1525Y3 sometimes come as a Bosch unit or perhaps even if they've sent me 1525Z3 by mistake can I still use the pump out of it?

A quick response would be great as I think i'd need to take it back asap if it's wrong

Many Thanks in advance
Keir
KeirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 07:27   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Tricky one this as without putting the 2 pumps side by side, it'll be impossible to judge the differences.

When car manufacturers get parts suppliers to make parts, they should be the same regardles of who made it. I remebr years ago you could get Ford Sierra headlamps made by Bosch, Lucas, Motorcraft and I think Hella. They all fitted and the all worked, but they weren't identical which made them look a bit odd when they weren't matched pairs.

I would have thought as long as the connections are the same there shouldn't be an issue, but you may have to suck it and see.

The other thought is that the 406 pump may have changed during the life of the model, so is one an early one and the other a later one ?

ou could try ringing a Peugeot dealer and get them to check the parts lists to see if the pump did change between models.

Good luck.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 07:58   #3
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi
Thanks for the reply David
I think it could be ok as the pump itself looks very similar to the one in the 'How to...' guide posted on this forum and as you say it's been over a year since the threads on doing this swap out were posted and so things will have moved on - 1525Z3 seems a natural progression from 1525Y3.

I'll remove the pump from my Rover and put them side by side to see if I can judge if it will fit - my only reluctance is that it's sometimes necessary to break the peugeot unit to get the bit I need and so if I do that and it's wrong then I've kind of lost all the savings I was hoping to make by using this pump :lol:

Thanks again
Keir
KeirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:36   #4
pantah

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi manual silver grey year 2002

Hello, I'm new here and am currently doing a intank pump job on my 75 Tourer. I'm trying to find out from what Peugeot 406HDI model exactly the alternate pump is from (year, engine size) as my independent dealer can't locate any Peugeot part on the number 1525Y3. According to him there are three different types of pumps used on a 406 so he won't order unless I can tell him which one exactly it is I'm after. Please help, I need my car tomorrow and would like te get the job done ASAP...
Thanks
pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:59   #5
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

The Pug Pump used was from the 306.GSF part No.T18326.See their Website for latest cost.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2008, 14:27   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Don't know if it is the one you want (I would only ever use the genuine OEM one)

Try here at £197.40 reduced to £98.70
http://www.pugspares.co.uk/PartsSear...ent=Fuel+Pumps
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:28   #7
pantah

Thanks for your replies. Seems the clerck at the Peugeot dealership wasn't too bright as he thought I meant the number mentioned on the pump body itself.
Still, I had to ring over ten Peugeot dealers to finally trace a pump available. I had to take my girfriend's Hyundai Excell to take me there (what a nightmare to drive something like that when you're used to a Rover). Funny detail: the Peugeot garage where I got the pump was right next to a former Rover dealer.

Cost was 172 euro's , about 137£ (I'm from Belgium, see) still less half the price of an original Rover-pump. Over here: Rover parts cost shamingly more than in Britain. I've just replaced the pump into the Rover pumpbody and installed it back in the car. Two attempts and she fired up! Jihaa!
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:31   #8
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Good end result for you, great.
Just so you know Rimmers and SMC Trading will send parts abroad at the UK Prices stated.
As I dare say others if asked.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:16   #9
pantah

Seems I was a bit to quick on cheering victory. My underbonnet pump now needed a tap to get it going so I'll have to change that one aswell. I heard that this part is also fitted on BMW. Anyone here that can provide me with the original BMW partn° plz? It's bound to be cheaper than the same pump provided by Rover, so I'ld rather have a go at that. Don't want to be rude, but I need this information by tomorrow. We were planning to set off for the Vosges in France tomorrow morning, but it looks like we'll have to delay our take-off after I've changed the pump. So, first thing for me to do is to trace one down and the original BMW partn° would be a great help in that way. Office clercks often don't know the first thing about mechanics, so unless I can come up with the right number, I dought if they'll be willing to sort it out for me...
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:19   #10
pantah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Good end result for you, great.
Just so you know Rimmers and SMC Trading will send parts abroad at the UK Prices stated.
As I dare say others if asked.
Thanks, I heard about Rimmers and if I would have the time to wait, I would sure make an inquiery over there. Unfortunatly, I can't sit around without a car for too long so I hope you forgive me to try and locate spare parts nearby.
Best regards