Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2016, 12:01   #1
Lottysvdub
Loves to post

MG ZT Raven Black Beastie

Default Cheap track rod ends .....

Well yesterday I discovered I had developed a fairly major wheel wobble over 10mph on the slightest turn .....
I thought maybe a tyre going out of shape . So I jacked her up span the wheels up and no out of shape tyre . Then I noticed a substantial movement from left to right when shaking the wheel .... It was the track rod ends on both sides .....

No fair comment I suppose ... The car has 130k on the clock and is used hard every day .....
But I only changed these about 16 months ago . Bought from Euro car parts too ..... Admittedly they where the cheaper option when I got them lol .
Anyway new track rods fitted this morning and what a difference they have made . No noise from the front suspension at all ..... Now even after fitting the previous pair it still felt and sounded trashy over bumps .... I was convinced either drop links or even strut top mounts .
The new ones fitted today where almost twice the price of the originals but I have no noise at all ... Totally different car to drive .

So the moral of the story ..... Don't buy the cheaper ones lol
Volcano Orange MGF

Real name Ian
Lottysvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 12:37   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You have discovered my doctrine. Pay cheap, pay twice. My friend ,Rover75 Diesel Conni 2001, ask if I knew where he could get some track rod ends from, but not cheap ones. I told him that the original ones on mine are TRW, and that is what would be going on mine when I need them.Delphi are also a good make.Try bestofbritish in your browser.
Old 7th August 2016, 00:02   #3
Den
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Track rod Nuts

I've had a few problems; Haynes recommend new Ny-lock Nuts. Rimmer look cheap until you add the postage. Plus their web (info)) shows pitch at 1.5(mm) but the standard is 1.25(mm). I know cause I've just done it. Any one care to tell me I'm wrong.

I'm surprised that Hayes torque is 30Nm; care to comment.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 00:03   #4
Den
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Track rod Nuts

I've had a few problems; Haynes recommend new Ny-lock Nuts. Rimmer look cheap until you add the postage. Plus their web (info)) shows pitch at 1.5(mm) but the standard is 1.25(mm). I know cause I've just done it. Any one care to tell me I'm wrong.

I'm surprised that Hayes torque is 30Nm; care to comment, anyone.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote