Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th April 2016, 06:22   #21
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I do not think you go "off topic" - I am as sick as you of this mealy-mouthed "lessons must be learned" talk when clearly the only lesson available is how to protect the backsides of those in charge.

Quite. Except in this and many other cases a persons life is lost in order to "learn the lesson". Weird way of learning to me. Just get it right in the first place. The main lesson is to remove those from posts who have had responsibility and oversight in these cases. Of course they always come back with "shortage of funds " etc but this is a tiresome argument I'm afraid. Just as tiresome as the "lesson to be learnt".
Thing is if there's plenty of sackings when it all goes wrong, there will be bum covering like you wouldn't believe. Its counter productive, I've seen it happen. Far better that people can step fwd and admit their mistakes without worrying about being sacked. Of course there is a line to be drawn and you can't have people who are untouchable, but having a witchhunt after the event gets you nowhere, trust me on that. The best disinfectant is sunlight in these matters, the best way to get that is to allow people to be open, the best way is for that is to not have them looking over their shoulder.

Often the only way to get right first time is be learning from mistakes. The vast majority of people go to work whatever it is to do a good job, there are very few malicious in work imho. A review/investigation after an event is often a good thing, it can highlight failings. That's not to say you won't get them again that's impossible because it involves humans, but properly done it can reduce the chances of mistakes bring made.

Hth

Apologies if it's a bit long, but I've experience in after the event reviews but not in social care.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote