Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2016, 14:06   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Speaker setup non HK

Hi

Can someone tell me if the standard speakers have any inductors or capacitors connected inline instead of me ripping my door apart to look? I know the tweeters are just connected in parallel with the mid range but wondered if the feed to the speakers was filtered in any way?

What impedance are the standard speakers, and if I add a capacitor to filter the signal what impedance do I use for the calculation as there are 2 speakers on each feed?

Does anyone know the frequency range the speakers work in to help decide what to filter out?

Eventual aim is to have standard rear speakers, upgraded fronts, both filtered so that I get some volume without distortion, driven by a bm24, aftermarket sub and amp in the boot.

System is currently stock highline.

Thanks

Gordon

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 14:18   #2
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Speakers and tweeters are in parallel. With a 3.3uf 50v capacitor on the one side of the tweeter to reduce the frequencies going to the tweeter. Being 4 ohm speakers that puts the crossover frequency incredibly high about 12k!

If they were 8 ohm the crossover would be about 6k. But they are definitely 4 ohm as the meter reads 3.9 ohms of DC resistance rather than AC impedance.

Door Speakers - XQM 101100 - 3.8 ohm DC resistance
Front Tweeter - XQN 100220 - 3.9 ohm DC resistance
Rear Tweeter - XQN 100190 - 3.9 ohm DC resistance

The speakers I measured were those included in a 51 plate ZT with Symphony. Rear tweeters were fitted as standard.

Last edited by Jamiewelch; 28th January 2016 at 14:22..
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 21:17   #3
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Speakers and tweeters are in parallel. With a 3.3uf 50v capacitor on the one side of the tweeter to reduce the frequencies going to the tweeter. Being 4 ohm speakers that puts the crossover frequency incredibly high about 12k!
Thanks

So they are all 4 ohm and the tweeter already has a capacitor (I'm new to this but an hours reading does make me think 12k crossover is very high though I'm happy with the sound from the tweeters, mids are the problem) - I was planning to put a capacitor on the feed in the boot while I have the loom open to grab a feed for the amp - not sure what value to use now as there are 2 4ohm speakers in parallel plus one capacitor already in use so the calculations here are not straight forward as in the link below. Also what type of capacitors are the best to use/easiest to get hold of?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp#hp

Has anyone done this and had good results and I'll just copy the values used

If I just want to make the mid and tweeter not have to reproduce the frequencies the new sub will provide what is a good crossover point ? I think giving them less bass will allow more volume before distortion??

Thanks

Gordon
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 09:45   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
Thanks

So they are all 4 ohm and the tweeter already has a capacitor (I'm new to this but an hours reading does make me think 12k crossover is very high though I'm happy with the sound from the tweeters, mids are the problem) - I was planning to put a capacitor on the feed in the boot while I have the loom open to grab a feed for the amp - not sure what value to use now as there are 2 4ohm speakers in parallel plus one capacitor already in use so the calculations here are not straight forward as in the link below. Also what type of capacitors are the best to use/easiest to get hold of?

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp#hp

Has anyone done this and had good results and I'll just copy the values used

If I just want to make the mid and tweeter not have to reproduce the frequencies the new sub will provide what is a good crossover point ? I think giving them less bass will allow more volume before distortion??

Thanks

Gordon
12k does seem high but that might be what the optimum crossover frequency is for those tweeters, some PA compression drivers on the otherhand can be crossed over around 2k. It all depends on the optimum points for those speakers. The load on each channel is 4 ohms if that's any use, as the speakers and tweeters are both producing different frequencies so the total load is only 4 ohms. Whereas if you had 2 x 4 ohm speakers in parallel that would equal a 2 ohm load. But the load on standard speakers is only 4 ohm.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 19:05   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
The load on each channel is 4 ohms if that's any use, as the speakers and tweeters are both producing different frequencies so the total load is only 4 ohms. Whereas if you had 2 x 4 ohm speakers in parallel that would equal a 2 ohm load. But the load on standard speakers is only 4 ohm.
I think it's a bit trickier than that as although the bass (below 12k) is cut off going to the tweeters : The full range goes to the main driver. The actual load is frequency dependant. Although you also have to remember that the woofer will cut some highs due to it's own coil inductance - which may bring us back to the 12k cutoff for the tweeter to be an optimum balance naturally to the woofer. (you'd have to know the inductance of the coils to make a more accurate calculation).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote