Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2015, 10:16   #1
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default engine problem

Have an engine problem. I'm burning oil. Symptoms, blue smoke, engine management light flickering, but only under heavy acceleration. Curiuosly, didn't do it today, slight oil smoke but definate smell of burnt oil. Rattley, tickety sound coming from cylinder head, not eccessively so, but is there. Problem is probably a hangover from the turbo blow-up (see previous posts) caused by oil starvation (?). Any advice? Have I a damaged head, bores, etc? I suspect it may be a head off job at the very least.
Shide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 12:08   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Doesn't sound good. I'd suspect the turbo again. It's the most critical part of the pressure lubed system. A few seconds' loss of oil pressure at the turbo will wreck it. Without reading the other thread, was the 'oil starvation' issue fixed?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 13:04   #3
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Turbo has been replaced and appears to be behaving itself and not passing oil into the exhaust. By 'oil starvation' I am talking about the journey home, around 9-10 miles, when the turbo blew. Oil went just about everywhere it wasn't meant to be. With the seal gone, oil was still being pumped through the turbine to lubricate it and thus going into the exhaust and inlet manifold. When home and checked there was very little left in the sump. I'm just wondering whether that loss of oil may have damaged the head, warped it or damaged a hydraulic tappet?
Old 9th December 2015, 13:46   #4
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

If the turbo blew recently and you haven't done many miles it may be just burning off the oil that went into the exhaust when the turbo blew.
I had one go on my 620ti and that just about filled the exhaust manifold with oil but it did have a piston problem as well. The cat may be full of oil as well.
May be a good idea to check the engine oil pressure to see if its in good enough shape otherwise you may be throwing good money at a lost cause.
Good luck with it. Hope it all works out well. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 14:55   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad-Dodger View Post
May be a good idea to check the engine oil pressure to see if its in good enough shape
How do you do it?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:38   #6
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

It'd be worth doing a compression test first before ripping it apart, that'll highlight if there's potential ring or even valve damage.
Have you checked the plugs? They should indicate any oil burning too.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 16:40   #7
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

The kits for oil pressure and cylinder compression tests are all available from good auto tool suppliers and of course ebay. With the oil pressure check, one of the adapters screws into the oil switch connection on the engine block. Most good service garages have one too if you don't fancy doing it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2621521054...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 19:00   #8
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default plugs

Ah yes, the spark plugs. Unfortunately my plug socket (ex military and thus made to be bomb and idiot proof) is too big to get down the narrow holes to get the plugs out!
Old 9th December 2015, 19:16   #9
Shide
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8T

Default oil pressure

There doesn't seem to be any issues with the oil pressure. Water and oil aren't mixing either (no mayonaisse). After about 5-600 miles I'm guessing that most of the oil in the exhaust system will have been dispersed. Engine runs quite happily enough but I've been driving for long enough to know that something isn't quite right.