Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2015, 07:25   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Testing the reverse sensor loom

Can someone confirm what I have done is correct.

Took the bumper off to try to cure the long beep. When in reverse I have 3 clicking sensors and one which does nothing. I expected to see a broken wire in the loom when I took it apart but it all looks good. So, I tested the voltage across the brown and black wires going to the sensor connector and got 12V.

Therefore, the live and ground to the sensor are OK and the sensor must be dead if it isn't clicking ?? I may still have a fault on the signal wire back into the car but so far this is all I can do until I get hold of a spare sensor?

Also, would one sensor failing cause the long beep.

It's an early 2001 car with the sounder under the back shelf

Thanks
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 09:50   #2
denis
Gets stuck in

2004 MG-ZT CDTi 135 Saloon in TROPHY YELLOW + Synergy Two-wow and an Aussy import RAV 4 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyB View Post
Can someone confirm what I have done is correct.

Took the bumper off to try to cure the long beep. When in reverse I have 3 clicking sensors and one which does nothing. I expected to see a broken wire in the loom when I took it apart but it all looks good. So, I tested the voltage across the brown and black wires going to the sensor connector and got 12V.

Therefore, the live and ground to the sensor are OK and the sensor must be dead if it isn't clicking ?? I may still have a fault on the signal wire back into the car but so far this is all I can do until I get hold of a spare sensor?

Also, would one sensor failing cause the long beep.

It's an early 2001 car with the sounder under the back shelf

Thanks
Don't want to lead you down the wrong path Gordy but assuming your reverse sensors are factory fit and not after market (you don't mention that) I had a problem with mine which was cured by changing the reversing switch on the manual gearbox. I did have intermittent reverse lights as part of the combined problem though so if they are OK on yours it may not be the way to go.
denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 16:09   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The original harness is a notoriously poor construction. Maybe worth just checking that the taped over twisted joins in the wiring are in good nick. Maybe take them apart and solder the connections and cover with fresh heat shrink sleeve. It just eliminates a major cause of poor operation, so you may still need the new sensor.

There was a new harness scheme running recently. Maybe worth checking through the thread.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote