Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2008, 09:36   #31
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

I'm stumped now Peter.

The only thing I can think of is that the Lappy isn't using the correct WEP Code.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 09:45   #32
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Is there anybody else you can ask to test your wireless network? I think the problem is with the laptop.

You have a basic level connection and it has accepted the WPA encryption code you have entered. Otherwise you would not connect.
Can you log into the router via your wireless connection?
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 09:46   #33
lightpainter
Posted a thing or two

2004 Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 Conn SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
I'm stumped now Peter.

The only thing I can think of is that the Lappy isn't using the correct WEP Code.
Thanks for all your help Paul, even trying to talk me through it on the phone; I am always amazed by the help and kindness that you all show to an old duffer like me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lightpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 10:21   #34
nairda
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon ConnSE CDTi 2003 in luvverly Moonstone Green, van Aaken SmartBox/RoverRon Synergy

I concur with GG's post, (#32), above.

The Wireless Network Connection dialog screenshot would suggest that the laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. The fact that, when connected via ethernet, the laptop can access the 'net suggests that the ethernet network adapter/RJ45 connection is configured correctly.

In Network Connections, (Start|Settings|Network Connections), right-click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.

In the list headed 'This connection uses the following items:', scroll down and highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) entry and then click the Properties button to the right, (there are three, Install, Unistall and Properties).

In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, On the General tab, ensure that the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' radio buttons are selected.

This will ensure that your laptop IP address is dynamically assigned by your router.

If you still cannot access the 'net, I would ensure that any firewall you have has been configured to allow 'net access from all IP addresses in the range that your router assigns. This is explained by GG in an earlier post. Usually the range is 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.255. Although I notice that the IP address used to access the router configuration is 192.168.1.1, so the range may be 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255.

Back at the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog, there is the Wireless Networks tab. If you select this, there is a list of Preferred networks. Yours should be listed and, in parenthesis, should be defined as Automatic. If you highlight your network and click the Properties button, ensure that the SSID matches your network name and the Network Authentication matches what has been configured on the router, (should be WPA-PSK), ensure the Data encryption is set to TKIP and then ensure that the Network key is the same as entered on the router.

I would say that this is already done though as you can connect wirelessly to your network.

You could open the Command Prompt, (Start|Programs|Accessories|Command Prompt) and, at the prompt, type ping www.yahoo.com and then hit enter.

This will test the ability of your machine to send and receive packets across the 'net. If this fails then there's something preventing you from accessing the 'net. Most likely the firewall.

You could try the same only this time ping the IP address of your wired machine. If this works then that would suggest that the LAN is fine.

Member No. 971
nairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 11:38   #35
lightpainter
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairda View Post
I concur with GG's post, (#32), above.

The Wireless Network Connection dialog screenshot would suggest that the laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. The fact that, when connected via ethernet, the laptop can access the 'net suggests that the ethernet network adapter/RJ45 connection is configured correctly.

In Network Connections, (Start|Settings|Network Connections), right-click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.

In the list headed 'This connection uses the following items:', scroll down and highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) entry and then click the Properties button to the right, (there are three, Install, Unistall and Properties).

In the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, On the General tab, ensure that the 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' radio buttons are selected.

That’s the one! I’m online now, thanks for all your help Lads!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11th July 2008, 11:39   #36
lightpainter
Posted a thing or two

This is sent from my laptop wirelesly!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11th July 2008, 11:40   #37
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

What a fascinating thread,

PC world That will be £****** sir

Forum..........

Well done chaps

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 11:44   #38
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

Good to hear you got it working.

Freedom isn't free. Somebody paid!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:08   #39
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpainter View Post
This is sent from my laptop wirelesly!
Glad to hear it Peter. I tend to miss these little nuances presented by Windows configuration. Default on my preferred System is DHCP.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2008, 12:29   #40
JamesP
Loves to post

Rover 75 ConnSE CDTi 131 Starlight Silver

Really pleased your now online.

That certainly is a unique network name you have there.
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote