Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2015, 16:42   #1
Melandra

Rover 75 CDT Club

Default Rover 75 CDT club with electrical problems HELP!

Hello everyone. I am new to this club, having decided to join because I saw some really helpful articles and threads about electrical problems. However, we still haven't got to the bottom of ours, despite having unplugged the engine heater and replaced all the ECUs. My car won't display that the indicators are on, central locking has gone, the heater shows 'Er', main beam won't show up as being on. Sometimes the cigarette lighter works (and we can charge our phones!) and sometimes it doesn't. The rest of the faults are not intermittent. They all started at exactly the same time, same day.

So - who knows what the problem is? I don't really want to send my car to the scrap yard just yet. It runs and drives well and has a COMPLETELY dry engine.
Melandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 16:46   #2
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melandra View Post
Hello everyone. I am new to this club, having decided to join because I saw some really helpful articles and threads about electrical problems. However, we still haven't got to the bottom of ours, despite having unplugged the engine heater and replaced all the ECUs. My car won't display that the indicators are on, central locking has gone, the heater shows 'Er', main beam won't show up as being on. Sometimes the cigarette lighter works (and we can charge our phones!) and sometimes it doesn't. The rest of the faults are not intermittent. They all started at exactly the same time, same day.

So - who knows what the problem is? I don't really want to send my car to the scrap yard just yet. It runs and drives well and has a COMPLETELY dry engine.
Have you checked that the plenum chamber, where the ECM (engine ECU) lives, is dry and hasn't been full of water.

When you say you have replaced all the ECU, did you just swap them for another one from a scrap yard, or were they coded in to the car with a T4 diagnostic machine.

Have you checked all the fuses, and I do mean all the fuses.
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2015, 17:06   #3
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
My car won't display that the indicators are on, central locking has gone, the heater shows 'Er', main beam won't show up as being on.
That all points to a fault on the K-Bus, usual culprits are a wet ECU in the plenum chamber (as above), faulty circuit board in the Fuel Burning Heater (as it is a diesel), wet satnav/stereo components in the boot (if you have them there), sunroof drains (if you have a sunroof) leaking over the BCU behind the glove box.

If the cigar lighter itself works, but not charger etc. when plugged in, it is usually a bad connection between the plug and socket.

Last edited by raykay; 28th May 2015 at 17:13..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 10:20   #4
Rufras
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

Sound exactly the faults I had with mine until I disconnected the Canbus lead from the FBH.
Rufras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 11:00   #5
andrewinpopayan
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT manual tourer SE with farkles

Wet under the drivers seat.

Bodges and "quick fixes" have a nasty habit of reminding you at the MOST inconvenient AND expensive time that you should have done the job properly in the first place.!
andrewinpopayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 13:18   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

It could be a wiring fault pulling the K-Bus down. If so you would need to trace and check out all the cables.

I vaguely remember someone having a similar problem and finding the fault by disconnecting cables one at a time from the header under the dash?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 15:21   #7
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:

Hi,

Welcome to the club.

Do you mean a completely dry plenum chamber area that the ECU lives in because I would be slightly worried about having a completely dry engine (internally anyway) lol

Saying that though my plenum area was completely dry, however, at some point previously my ECU had been water damaged so just because the plenum area looks to be in tip top shape it's always best to inspect the ECU casing for signs of previous water ingress.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote