Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2015, 11:28   #11
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Looking superb!
I am tempted by the Meg's polisher but have never used one before, concerned that I could potentially damage the paint, have you any tips? what polish etc do you use? and is there a "beginners user guide"?
regards

Gav
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 14:56   #12
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
....... How do you manage after the journey? Presumeably you take cleaning products with you, any recommendations?

This is my first meet so curious as to how members generally manage this aspect!
So far I've been quite lucky weather wise, but I normally put a garden pressure washer filled with Optimum No Rinse in the boot to help sort any light dirt on the day. I think if the weather was really bad and the car got properly dirty, I would just leave it that way rather than risk inflicting swirls etc trying to clean it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Looking superb!
I am tempted by the Meg's polisher but have never used one before, concerned that I could potentially damage the paint, have you any tips? what polish etc do you use? and is there a "beginners user guide"?
regards

Gav
The downside to using the Meguires polisher (or any dual action polisher) is that it takes longer than using a standard rotary polisher. The good side is that it is a lot safer in unskilled hands (i.e. mine!) and to be honest, I think the only way your likely to damage your paint with one is if you drop it on it! I would recommend watching some YouTube tutorials posted by Junkman2000 on the subject. They are very detailed, and aimed specifically at first time users of Dual Action polishers. I certainly didn't have much success with mine until I watched his videos and realised I was making some basic mistakes (using too much product on the pad, wrong speed etc).

The first part of his tutorial is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

In terms of polish, I'm currently using a combination of Menzerna Power Finish and Menzerna Super Finish which seem to work well, though I know there are many others that would no doubt do an equally good job. Supervinnie or Jordan Apex are probably best placed to advise here - particularly Supervinnie as it's his full time job.

One final warning - it can be very addictive once you start!

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 15:08   #13
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
So far I've been quite lucky weather wise, but I normally put a garden pressure washer filled with Optimum No Rinse in the boot to help sort any light dirt on the day. I think if the weather was really bad and the car got properly dirty, I would just leave it that way rather than risk inflicting swirls etc trying to clean it

The downside to using the Meguires polisher (or any dual action polisher) is that it takes longer than using a standard rotary polisher. The good side is that it is a lot safer in unskilled hands (i.e. mine!) and to be honest, I think the only way your likely to damage your paint with one is if you drop it on it! I would recommend watching some YouTube tutorials posted by Junkman2000 on the subject. They are very detailed, and aimed specifically at first time users of Dual Action polishers. I certainly didn't have much success with mine until I watched his videos and realised I was making some basic mistakes (using too much product on the pad, wrong speed etc).

The first part of his tutorial is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk

In terms of polish, I'm currently using a combination of Menzerna Power Finish and Menzerna Super Finish which seem to work well, though I know there are many others that would no doubt do an equally good job. Supervinnie or Jordan Apex are probably best placed to advise here - particularly Supervinnie as it's his full time job.

One final warning - it can be very addictive once you start!

Cliff
Don't need to be skilled to use a rotary either cliff just be a bit more cautious and play with the speed settings a bit more zenith point is what springs to mind! Also you can use the technique that requires a lot of product which junkman would consider far far too much! To prime the pad you use about 6 full circles of products rather than 4 pea blobs that reduce to 3 once it is primed! The trick to that is using water spray to reactivate the polish and prevent it drying out!

Oh by the way all of cliffs points are still valid and everything in detailing is subjective and opinion based and there are plenty of products, techniques and styles! The best of which are the ones that you enjoy doing because the more you enjoy it the more likely you are to continue doing and that will result in better results than using a technique you don't like less often because someone tells you it is the best
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 17:07   #14
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Will give that technique a go next time I have the polisher out.

On a side issue, why is it that I can spend all day polishing, waxing etc without problems, but it is only once I have the car jacked up and the wheels off and therefore can't move the car, that it decides to start raining! All that nice paintwork rained on.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 17:23   #15
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Will give that technique a go next time I have the polisher out.

On a side issue, why is it that I can spend all day polishing, waxing etc without problems, but it is only once I have the car jacked up and the wheels off and therefore can't move the car, that it decides to start raining! All that nice paintwork rained on.

Cliff
Because of our lovely climate, at least you had the wax on before it started! Easy to get rid of the water marks plus you can see if any area needs a bit more wax

Wheels off cleans are always fun, covered in muck!

Oh and zenith point is more aimed at rotary than da but I suppose there is no harm in trying
Old 8th May 2015, 17:45   #16
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Im well aware its addictive, Im a serial car washer and polisher with a vast array of care care products, just always do it by hand, (oo er missus) keen to try a polisher though but always wary of the potential for damage!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 17:51   #17
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Im well aware its addictive, Im a serial car washer and polisher with a vast array of care care products, just always do it by hand, (oo er missus) keen to try a polisher though but always wary of the potential for damage!
Honestly, it's just a warning saying you CAN cause damage, a slight bit of thought with a da and you're there! With a rotary; a little bit of research, a bit more caution and a bit more attention and you're there