Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2015, 04:23   #11
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Geez, if you have the space, Id park the old girl somewhere and use it as a parts bin and when she has finally given up all the bits you want or need, get the scappers to pick the chassis up.There would definately be way more than $1k of parts in the car.
Got the room, we're not allowed to park a car served van on our driveway, let alone a boat caravan or partially scrapped car . And unfortunately I simply would have the time or inclination anyway.
Old 6th February 2015, 04:34   #12
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Guys and girls , please don't get the wrong impression, I thought long and hard as to whether to repair the car, especially as I'd invested a lot of ( normally unnecessary ) money making the car the best it would and could be , before the engine problem.In an ideal world, I would have done as it it a peace of history , and it's virtually unmarked inside and out etc etc. It may even be that the forum mechanic/breaker who is keeping the car for me at the mo' may even do it, and if so there'd be no one more pleased than me.Pretty much half the bill would be labour , so it would make sense for someone to do it in their spare time.
Anyway, there's a risk of going off topic, but just wanted to clarify.
Old 6th February 2015, 04:45   #13
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
That was my question , the specs are the same,just wanted to find out what people think made the baddest differences to the feel of the car after the cost cutting, hence my reply to Dorset Bob.
Genuine wood dash
Carpet covers at footwell vents?
Check the steering wheel...the wood on early ones is better quality. Easy to change
Wheel airbag...the original Rover badge far nicer in my opinion than facelift. Easy change
Back seats if same..the centre arm rest different
Centre cubby hole lid. Early ones genuine leather
Gear stick. Again early ones better quality leather or wood
Handbrake handle . Early ones better quality
Boot plinth..check quality/type..early different. Personal preference
Door mirrors...can't remember whether your car has early bullet type but they are nicer than the smaller skull cap type. Worth taking off as spares anyway.
Which stereos has new one got compared to existing?
Wheels...which alloys? Personal preference again. Remembering the trade off between size and price of new tyres. I have 16inch 7 spokes off xa facelift on my early car as I like them. Tyres. Much cheaper than 17 inch rims.
If new one has same size wheels keep one of the old ones as a full size spare instead of spacesaver

General items that I would remove for spares
Starter motor
Alternator
Electric door lock motor or two
Engine bay caps from oil filler and water tanks ...both coolant and screenwash
Expansion tank itself
Strip out the fuses and relays for spares
Battery if a new/ good one
Depends how much space you have really..

Hope that helps
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 05:22   #14
sjc
Posted a thing or two

Astraeus, that's brilliant, thanks for taking the time. There'sa definate difference in feel,and even walking up to it it feels a bit more generic,let alone inside, but teh one I've bought ( inspite of it not feeling as("Roverish") is a corker.Sheame that the interior colour is different, so not many bits to swap over from there.
Old 6th February 2015, 05:48   #15
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
How about you understand this? I was looking at a bill with labour of (at least )£1300+ to repair a 90k mile 14 year old car .... Ive replaced it with a 11 year old 36k mile car of nigh on the same spec, a car that I've known for the last 4 years for er......1300 quid.And I'll get circa 4-500 back from the old car on parts etc.Now as much as I loved my original, it simply didn't stack up in any way shape or form. I asked a simple question that's all.
I'm afraid I would have to agree with the op - as much as I love any car when you are faced with a choice which entails spending a figure that exceeds the cars value it's a 'no brainer' !
Hopefully this one can be broken to enable half a dozen more worthwhile examples can remain on the road
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 06:18   #16
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

You can get a decent engine for £300 buy belts etc and pump and thermo £150 plus oil etc makes it about £500. lates charged me £500 to swap an engine over and do belts etc it makes it £1k.
I totally understand how you feel. I would scour the for sale section and make a note of what people buy and take the lot of your car.
Sorry to hear the demise of a belter of a car but you do need to think sensibly.
Don't forget the inlet manifold and vis motors etc.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 08:40   #17
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Just swap over what you can; I would use the excellent Project Drive guide to work out what to add to the Facelift. It is obvious that people here will respond negatively to your Fifth Gear car being broken... Personally; I'd have just asked what to change over from a PPD car to PD car to keep the thread cleaner! Anyhoo; good luck with your project!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:06   #18
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

I'm genuinely surprised no one in your region has offered to come down and do a "group engine swap day" to help you put the new engine into the original car.

We have done several events like that helping people out with a favoured car. I've arranged a few days where myself and one or two other friends have went and for the sake of tea and biscuits along with a lunch helped turn cars that where ready for scrap into mot masters.

The whole point of a car club is stuff like this to help people out.

I've been paid in kind several times back myself now including my new 75 that I'd helped the owner with a ton of parts, when we met he broke down, I offered to tow him home, said he could pay me for parts when he got the car sorted (was an electrical issue) and when he sadly passed away he left instructions that I was to be given the car as I'd never asked for the money knowing he was terminally I'll.

Team of 4 could do a kv6 swap in 8 hour easily.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 17:24   #19
sjc
Posted a thing or two

That's a really nice thought, but it wasn't that I couldn't afford to get it done, it was more whether I could justify it. I've actually put it in the classifieds now in the hope that someone will save it, before I break it. Having spent the day in a my new 36K V6 Connie SE, facelift it's so evident of it just feeling like "a car" instead of something special and luxurious like my Mk1,if no-one saves it I'd like to have most of the bits on it like the sound deadening, logo'd stuff and dimming mirrors etc retro fitted!
I'm quite shocked at the difference in the quality of the materials.
Old 6th February 2015, 17:34   #20
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Dont be daft, fix it! You're unlikely to find another like it. It's value is irrelevant, it's what the car is worth to you that counts.
You could spend 1000-2000 on a replacement, and the same could still happen to that one. If you fix it, its done

Last edited by Sidetops; 6th February 2015 at 17:37..
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote