Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2014, 19:29   #1
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Portable DVD player

My son is looking for a portable DVD player, looking online they seem to range from around £50 upwards. I'm not sure why his laptop won't do but im guessing it's too big. Any recommendations over flip open or tablet style?
Thanks

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 08:32   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
My son is looking for a portable DVD player, looking online they seem to range from around £50 upwards. I'm not sure why his laptop won't do but im guessing it's too big. Any recommendations over flip open or tablet style?
Thanks
Hi Mark,

The flip style ones do seem to suffer the most from failure, either the ribbon cable between the two halves breaks or the lid to the drive breaks or the optical laser gets damaged.

I would go for the tablet style as the drive has no lid to break or optical assembly exposed and also no ribbon cable to break/become detatched !

Another idea,
Why not just buy a tablet anyhow and upload the digital copies that usually come with Dvd's onto that.
Thus leaving the films at home and having a tablet that can play them plus do other functions as well, just a thought
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:26   #3
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanks Jeff, he has an ipad so I dont know why he wants a portable dvd. I might look into apps to load movies into itunes.

His iPad will only hold a few movies and when were away he wants to take a bigger selection of DVDs. His laptop is too bulky so it looks like a portable DVD player or a smaller laptop. I have a Lenovo idea pad which is surplus to requirements but looking at it there's no DVD drive if my tower PC was half decent I suppose I could burn the movies to USB?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 23rd August 2014 at 12:18..
Old 23rd August 2014, 20:17   #4
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Use a seagate media wireless hard drive just for films mine works fine with my iPad.
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2014, 08:48   #5
sworks
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleysox View Post
Use a seagate media wireless hard drive just for films mine works fine with my iPad.
That sounds interesting, although I've no idea what it is I presume you copy your DVDs onto the hard drive then stream them to the iPad? Off for a look, thanks

Last edited by sworks; 24th August 2014 at 08:53..