Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd June 2014, 21:51   #11
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Oh bully for you bolin....

You should go and join the rich gits in Westminster who think just like you...
As you so eloquently state "I'm alright jack, and stuff the rest"!
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:55   #12
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post

I sincerely hope you are not calling Bolin a rich *** by inference Bill, because that's very much how it reads from here
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:56   #13
maxi_crawf
Posted a thing or two

R75 Saloon Conn CDT SE, MG ZT190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
And while we are at it, what cuts have members PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED themselves?

In a conversation recently I could only think of the fact that the tax reminder letters from DVLA are now single-sided and on poor qualitiy paper as being the only thing that I HAVE PERSONALLY NOTICED - I am not referring to to stuff on the TV news or newspapers, just things that I have seen for myself!

But then I am living in the south in a nice area, maybe that makes a difference? (although I would like to think not, but suspect that it does as other areas may be more dependent on State services and notice more cuts?)

I'd be interested to read what cuts anybody has personally experienced themselves.

Have to agree, the times I have heard "somebody who knows somebody who has met someone says" in a court of law that would be Hearsay and inadmissible. bit like Chinese whispers!
maxi_crawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 22:57   #14
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:

I agree with the gist of what you are saying Bill in the sense of 'I'm all right, pull the ladder up Jack' that some people have

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi_crawf View Post
Have to agree, the times I have heard "somebody who knows somebody who has met someone says" in a court of law that would be Hearsay and inadmissible. bit like Chinese whispers!
I personally know people that will be affected with the changes of law, particularly the bedroom tax. I say will be because they haven't paid it yet because there needs are barely met on what they receive and our council are yet to take the step in taking the first person to court.
Now fair is fair. Peoples homes are their homes. To say we are going to start a bedroom tax for people on benefits from such and such a date so people who are looking at properties can then decide if they want to accept a 3 bedroom house over a single bedroom house is not ideal, with the limited properties available, but plausible. BUT to expect people to uproot being financially forced to move from living in their property without the benefit of hindsight is absolutely unbelievable behaviour from the powers that be and 'just not cricket' (in the words they understand) My brother was forced out of work and receives benefit whilst countlessly trying to get a job and has a 3 bedroom maisonette. His son is with him every other weekend and Wednesdays yet that room is considered an unoccupied room and therefore taxable. Just one example of people in the same situation I personally know.

Last edited by Jay; 22nd June 2014 at 23:07..
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:00   #15
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:

So does that mean that anyone who hasn't experienced the 'austerity measures' is a rich ***? If so I'll also have to stand up and be counted because as yet I can't think of any real detrimental effect they've had on me or my family and to be honest I think a lot of them were actually badly needed improvements in efficiency. Council services tend to be extremely inefficient IMO and it's done them no harm at all having their budgets cut. In Norfolk we're still getting the same services we were before however the councils budget is considerably less, surely that means we're now getting better value for money?

Oh and has already been pointed out the story was hardly hidden as it was on the homepage for BBC News, if they wanted to hide it they could have tried harder!
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:33   #16
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The OP is about the BBC hiding the news? Don't think so. At least no more than the trade unions. The BBC gets it in the neck no matter what it does! Why not blame ITV, Channel 4 & 5, CNN? Maybe they didn't think it was worth the candle. Most people call the BBC out as Left leaning yet they get accused of covering up a Left inspired rabble rousing jamboree! Who's fooling who?
I don't know if you're a member of a trade union Bill but that seems the best way to get news of any similar demos, just don't expect honest unbiased reporting!

Frankly, I'm rather glad that the rabid Owen Jones and Loud and Foul Mouthed Brand weren't favoured with an appearance on TV. I can't think of two more obnoxious apologists for any political movement.
Heaven help us all if the likes of those two ever get office!
Old 23rd June 2014, 08:55   #17
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post

I'd be interested to read what cuts anybody has personally experienced themselves.
My company provides software to the NHS, and the element that has changed for us is you really have to work very very hard for every penny we earn, as opposed to very hard.

With my company head on, this is bad news, its meant redundancies here, lack of profits, we are operating at cost, which is not really why you run a business. (I know that will be a shock to some!)

With my personal head on, there was far too much waste in the NHS, especially in the field I work in, large companies taking contracts worth millions then failing to deliver on them and weak NHS managers who do not enforce penalties etc, however this has hurt us all as we are now tarnished with the same brush.

On my partners side, she works for the NHS as a director in childrens' services, and equally she is forever having to re-apply for her job through restructuring, (basically this means 4 people roughly doing the same role down to 1) However instead of just getting rid of the 3 useless ones, they don't, they move them to one side and put them on a "Project" with still the same benefits and salary levels for 2 years!

So I guess thats my experience of austerity, has it hit my back pocket yes, did it need to happen yes!

Simon
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:28   #18
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

Interesting. The failures of the Primary Care Trusts with regards to the NHS are concerning to say the least. This "black hole" for commissioning services which had continuously syphoned off much needed revenue for front line services. Should the NHS robustly audit costs in relation to delivery and make accountable the many failures and whimsical projects that have been commissioned, now that would ease the austerity that is hitting the NHS service users. Or should I add those that genuinely are in need.
billericaymgxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:54   #19
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by billericaymgxpower View Post
Interesting. The failures of the Primary Care Trusts with regards to the NHS are concerning to say the least. This "black hole" for commissioning services which had continuously syphoned off much needed revenue for front line services. Should the NHS robustly audit costs in relation to delivery and make accountable the many failures and whimsical projects that have been commissioned, now that would ease the austerity that is hitting the NHS service users. Or should I add those that genuinely are in need.
I would agree, although its naive to think that all front line services can exist without any back end management at all.

One of the biggest issues the austerity has created within the NHS is even weaker NHS management, everyone is in fear of making the wrong decisions for fear of losing their jobs, so we are in danger of very clever systems not seeing the light of day as some decision makers are just turning up and taking the pay.
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:48   #20
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

That's true of most of the public sector. What is the ideal? Outsourcing is taking a lion share in much of the public sector but this creates another set of issues.
billericaymgxpower is offline   Reply With Quote