Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2014, 20:33   #21
Mirza12
Regular poster

Rover 75 Conny SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
If your original setup was a basic radio, then it is straight forward. If you have the hi-line, then it becomes much more complex.

If it has the HK amp system it is straight forward to just get working, but without the HK amp. Getting it working with the HK is worth while, but that is also quite involved.

So worst possible combination to fully sort out is hi-line with HK amp.

Yes the forum's DD install information is a confusing mess. It really ought to be condensed down into several sections.

1. Basic installation replacement.
2. Hi-line
3. Dealing with the HK amp.
4. Wheel remote control.
5. TV receiver, with and without Hi-line antennas.
Hi!

Well thanks for that (I think) because I have the Hi line system with the HK - I think I will need to enroll the services of some friendly 75'ers local to me lol.
Mirza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 21:57   #22
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza12 View Post
Hi!

Well thanks for that (I think) because I have the Hi line system with the HK - I think I will need to enroll the services of some friendly 75'ers local to me lol.
Oh dear, then definitely you do

After removing the old headunit, the TV and Radio, plus the satnav unit, plus the remote control steering adaptor...

You need to find a connected plug and socket tucked in behind the ash tray, pull them apart, then plug the DD into one. You also need to link across from the parted plug and socket, two wires, to maintain power to the rear ICE equipment and the HK amp and antenna amp. You need the radio antenna extending forward to the new DD, which presently terminates in the wheel well. It should then work, but without the HK amp.

To get the HK amp back in circuit and working, you then need to run 8 twin speaker wires from the DD back to the HK amp.

To get a working TV back, you need Sean's MP4 digi TV unit, so it is compatible with the existing pair of built in TV antennas. You then need to run its remote control able to the front and its two audio and one video cable from the back to the DD at the front.

If you intend at some point to add a reversing camera, best to run a screened cable for that, while you have the carpet up.

Once all done it works well, but it took me several months, plus a lot of head scratching to sort it all out bit by bit.

You need the radio antenna extending forward to the new DD.

The hi-line system head unit was just a remote control and display unit. The actual TV/video and radio/amp units are in the wheel well.

You really need to find someone who has done it and is willing to repeat the exercise, but I am not aware of anyone who has managed the full install apart from me. I would doubt your typical ICE installer would be able to make any sense of it.

Don't please ask me, but I did fully document what I did stage by stage in this forum, which someone should be able to follow.

Good luck

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 22:04   #23
Mirza12
Regular poster

Rover 75 Conny SE Auto

Holly mackerel Harry. You have just scared the living day lights out of me. If you could locate the write up I would be forever grateful. I have searched the forum a lot and not managed to find anything like that unless I am using the wrong search terms.

Before I get started id like to have all the information and how to's and extra cabling so I am well prepared.

I think from Sean I got the dvb receiver that he had on the half price offer. I assume this can still be connected to the antennas in the car?

Last edited by Mirza12; 22nd March 2014 at 22:09..
Mirza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 12:49   #24
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza12 View Post
Holly mackerel Harry. You have just scared the living day lights out of me. If you could locate the write up I would be forever grateful. I have searched the forum a lot and not managed to find anything like that unless I am using the wrong search terms.

Before I get started id like to have all the information and how to's and extra cabling so I am well prepared.

I think from Sean I got the dvb receiver that he had on the half price offer. I assume this can still be connected to the antennas in the car?
Sean really ought to be asking before selling the DVB units, whether it is for the Hi-line or a standard setup. The hi-line install has twin built in antennas with built in amps. This set up works great, much better than the adding extra antennas and should be reused if at all possible. Unfortunately, there are not many DVB units which can reuse the built in antennas. Seans original MP4 DVB could.

The DVB unit needs to support two antenna inputs and be able to supply 12v from the DVB, via the coax, up to the two amps. Look for the mention of coax powered amps in the spec of the DVB unit. If it cannot do that, then the built in antennas cannot be made to work at all.

There have been a great number of his buyers who have had hi-line then mistakenly assuming they could just use any DVB with the antennas then been very disappointed by no or very poor TV reception.

Even when the old system has not been ex hi-line, the MP4 type even with two added antennas is a much better bet, assuming the added pair of antennas are genuine items with built in amps. Be aware that not many are the pukka item.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd March 2014 at 13:05..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote